Enter Forum: General Interest
 Wayne - Colored Seats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jthurston

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  1:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jthurston's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember a 1980 Wayne with orange, green, blue, and brown seats, in that order... just wondering if anybody else remembers Waynes with colored seats! Also, how long were these seats offered, and did any other manufacturers do something similar. Those Waynes were pretty distinctive!

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  5:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If I'm not mistaken Superior also offered that, but we never had any with that our last superiors were from the late 60's. The first bus I drove was a 1973 Wayne/International. This bus had bright red seats, has anyone on here ever seen or been on a Wayne with that color? They certainly aren't as dark as the burgandy seats Blue Bird currently uses, these were bright red.

I'm not sure if any other manufacturers offered this other than Wayne and Superior but it was in the 70's. I don't know many districts that would order buses like that now, most districts try to get only one or two colors to keep seat cover replacements easy.

"America's #1 Conventional School Bus- Thomas/International."
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  5:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our school district never had any Waynes with the rainbow seats; ours were just green. I know what you're talking about, though. I've seen quite a few older [early-1980s] Waynes go through our local International dealer that have had the rainbow seats.

I've personally never seen any other school bus with the rainbow seats before.

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  5:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a 1980's Blue Bird International with Rainbow seats. You can ask kids who went to the elementary about the rainbow bus and they all remember it. I'll ask some of my freidns remember this bus or that bus and they;re like no. But I can be like the rainbow bus and the know exactly what bus that is. It was a very popular bus.

~BlueBird44~
Go to Top of Page

mzanchelli

95 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  09:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone else seen bluebird bright yellow seats w/ a tan interior??? actually looked great when new

Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  2:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went back to some old Ward catalogs from the mid-70's and they had some very interesting rainbow seat combinations too. One of their seat colors was a hideous banana yellow with red trim. Looking at one picture the order of seat colors are: red, yellow, green and the very last row of seats are blue. Go figure. I have never seen BB bright yellow but just about every color has been used.

Ted Pelky *** ahhh...for the 60's again and those beautiful Superior Coaches
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I went back to some old Ward catalogs from the mid-70's and they had some very interesting rainbow seat combinations too. One of their seat colors was a hideous banana yellow with red trim. Looking at one picture the order of seat colors are: red, yellow, green and the very last row of seats are blue. Go figure. I have never seen BB bright yellow but just about every color has been used.

I know what you mean about the "interesting" color combinations Ward used. When I posted my original message in this topic, I forgot about Ward.

There's an advertisement for Ward on the back of a 1969 issue of School Bus Fleet Magazine I have, and it shows the rainbow seats. It shows green with yellow trim; red with blue trim; and yellow with red trim. The ad mentions "A New Dimension In School Bus Seating," LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Bri98-87
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Bri98-87 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I must be a youngin or something because the only colors i've seen on a bus were green, gray, brown or blue. In person that is. I've seen burgundy in the bb catalog.

Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  4:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trina
Is there any way you can scan that ad and post it? I would love to see it.

I saw the multi coloured wayne combo before but would love to see that.

It's the little things that count
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  4:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  6:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I've seen it all! One weird yet unique seat coloring! Thanks Buskid for posting it!
Greg Hovan

Now is the time of year when all buses have white tops!
Visit the school bus garage: http://www.geocities.com/fordman11189/SchoolBusGarage.html
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
Advanced Member

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  7:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message  Send Ricky a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ted,

I think I may have that same catalog from Ward. It was from 1973, if I'm not mistaken. I remember seeing those rainbow seats, and especially the yellow/red combination you referred too.

The 1973 and 1975 International Superiors that my old school district had, all had the bright red seats. All of the other Superiors had the green seats, 1968 and below had light green seats and 1969-1972 had the dark green seats.

Stephen R. Adamson (AmTran11)
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  07:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I remember seeing a few Carpenter's with rainbow seats!

Ricky,
I have never seen a superior bus with rainbow seats. The only colors were brown or green with the metal backs that had the superior logo on them! Man have times changed!

Go to Top of Page

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  11:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Years ago when I forst started to drive a school bus. I remember that the school district I worked for had several Wards with Rainbow seats. My Director at the time told us it was to help in assigning seats. You would just tell the kids to sit in the 3rd orange seat or 2nd blue seat and so on... This at a time before we started to paint numbers above the seats. Didnt seem like a bad Idea to me. One years ago when I spec'd some buses I ordered a few All Americans with Red seats and A few with That Bright blue Seat upholstery. That was just to get away from the same old stuff (Green or Brown). Thanks Armando Cuellar, Madison Elementary School District #38, Phoenix Arizona.

Greetings from Phoenix Arizona. Anything below 65 degrees requires a heavy coat or you freeze.
Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  07:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see where the different color seats would make it easier to spot where each kid sat. Also would help sort kids if needed.

PHW

Child Check For Life
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
Advanced Member

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  3:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message  Send Ricky a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

The Superiors didn't have the rainbow seats. They had the bright red seats...at least the 73 and 75 models did.

Stephen R. Adamson (AmTran11)
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  2:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought that I would resurrect this old topic since we currently have a 'new' topic on interior colors. And, if any one has one I would love to see a picture of the Blue Bird yellow seats.
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  7:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperiorGMC1963

I just thought that I would resurrect this old topic since we currently have a 'new' topic on interior colors. And, if any one has one I would love to see a picture of the Blue Bird yellow seats.

Here's a photoshop of a Blue Bird with yellow seats like the one I rode in high school. Its not perfect but you get the idea:
Go to Top of Page

leftlanewannabe

15 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  11:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that has to be the narrowest aisle i have ever seen.
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  2:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leftlanewannabe

that has to be the narrowest aisle i have ever seen.

LOL! Not one of my better photoshops
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  3:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At our graveyard where we keep our buses that have given up the ghost, we have a Thomas Chevy with bright Red and White seats, well the seats are Carpenter seats that have been transplanted, but you get the idea.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  5:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
At a ski resort in Northern Lower Michigan they had buses to take you from the hotel to the ski hills. There was a Thomas, but they apprently had a Blue Bird in their fleet, too, because the seat bottoms were brown Blue Bird ones while the backs were the original green seat backs from Thomas. Kind of interesting looking.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  10:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In that picture Buskid showed us, it looks like a kid brought a box of Fruit Loops on that bus and it exploded!! Those are some weird looking bus seats, but I can see why they had them since the schools a long time ago had different colored plastic chairs. I'm sure most of you remember those.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  11:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusFan

In that picture Buskid showed us, it looks like a kid brought a box of Fruit Loops on that bus and it exploded!! Those are some weird looking bus seats, but I can see why they had them since the schools a long time ago had different colored plastic chairs. I'm sure most of you remember those.

I do rememeber those chairs. If I'm not mistaken they were made by Brunswick, of Bowling fame. Rock hard and uncomfortable chairs!
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  9:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMCBluebird83

quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusFan

I do rememeber those chairs. If I'm not mistaken they were made by Brunswick, of Bowling fame. Rock hard and uncomfortable chairs!

I agree, very uncomfortable!! Atleast the ones on the bus look comfortable.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  1:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had OLD Waynes, 84's I believe, with Green Seats, now we only have 87-89 Waynes left with brown seats

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

johntrest

1 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  8:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit johntrest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is one Wayne/ Ford 1981 photo with colored seats. The bus was a Baumann and Sons bus on Long Island numbered 8242

From School Bus Central

http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=30&listing=1522&listingmode=detail
Go to Top of Page

thewallfan

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  3:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad Wayne went out before i was born. That would be totally "groovy"!

IC your CE
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  11:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i have a pamplet that shows the different color seats and I believe it was the wayne.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  3:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My church ordered a custom Wayne bus that had a really nice blue colored bucket seats covered in school bus style vinyl. It went well with the light blue almost white interior paint. I think this combo may have been popular on their activity buses. What is amusing is that I went to the dealer recently to get a new window put in, and they had some of the same seats in their shop to lounge on in their spare time. We had them space out the seats before it was delivered, and those there the extra seats there was no longer space! I was like man! Give me my seats back! lol j/k I ordered some replacement covers recently, and they could only give me Blue Bird blue- which is still attractive, but not the same. I'm assuming that Wayne offered some maroon/red color at some point as my bus has a piece or door trim done in that color, and it has not been replaced/repaired.
Go to Top of Page

bluejay140

2 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  4:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit bluejay140's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used to drive one of those Wayne buses, on another bus site I posted photos of the bus ( number 8242). Baumann and Sons (Now out of Business 2019) bus ordered 20 of them in 1981 for use in the Smithtown school district on Long Island NY. I had the last bus that kept its colors up until 1985. I seen it later in the next few years with only one seat color change. I have no idea when it was put out of service.

Here is the link to the photos - updated

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85787708@N07/8466490122/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85787708@N07/8466490410/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85787708@N07/8466490222/in/photostream/

Edited by - bluejay140 on 09/30/2021 10:33:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

bluejay140

2 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2021 :  10:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit bluejay140's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This update was done on September 30, 2021
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000