Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 State safety inspections?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

khpayne

13 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2021 :  09:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit khpayne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am writing to see if the states you live in require buses to pass a state regulated safety inspection every year? the reason I ask is because in Texas all licensed vehicles have to be inspected once a year to be registered . There is a person running for Governor that wants to do away with the state vehicle inspections. in my opinion we need to keep the inspections. I am wondering what is don in states where there isn't a state mandated yearly inspection ?

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2021 :  09:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been a school bus mechanic in Ohio for 10 years now and I agree, we need the yearly inspections. I think if we didn't have the inspections, the school districts would run them until the frames broke or the floors rotted through. The inspections not only hold the mechanics accountable for their work, they hold the school districts accountable to provide decent and safe transportation.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2021 :  10:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Nova Scotia Canada, a government ran agency inspects or buses every 6 months and we have to do a full brake report(take apart and measure, replace as needed) once a year

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2021 :  10:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please clarify your question. Are you talking about all registered vehicles on the road in Texas, or are you talking about school buses. I highly doubt anyone would talk about getting ride of annual inspections of school buses. In California we do annual school buses. We do not do annual inspections for the average private ownership vehicles. We do not have the snow, salt issues that some states do.
Go to Top of Page

TRex

89 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2021 :  8:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit TRex's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am also in Ohio. We do not have annual vehicle inspections like Pa. has. But we certainly have annual school (technically passenger) bus inspections.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2021 :  1:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here in Washington state we have a Yearly Summer inspection . All vehicles that are used for students have to be inspected by the State patrol . During winter we have a winter inspection of 25 % of the fleet . I we lose more than 1 bus they do another 25 % if it happens again then they have to do the whole fleet . I know in Oregon they inspect like every 3 years and sometimes leave it up to districts to police them selves ?
Go to Top of Page

khpayne

13 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2021 :  04:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit khpayne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
40ngone, great question , the guy who hopes to be the new Governor has a website where you can ask questions and I will get back to you on which vehicles he is talking about. I am hoping that its only passenger cars and trucks but even those are questionable considering the Mexico border is soo close. i will let you know his response . thanks for all of the input.
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2021 :  6:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Khpayne, thank you, interesting post.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000