Cat help ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2021 :  10:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a 2004 Thomas saftyliner with a cat engine yesterday went to use bus for PM run . Hard to start . Then when it did as soon as i put it in gear it died . tried several times and when I would try to accelerate acted like it was starving for fuel . Then a light would come on saying stop the engine . This morning went out to bring it in the shop started right up and was able to move the bus . The check engine light came on and then it went off . Can't find anycodes . Any ideas ?

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2021 :  10:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like an high pressure oil issue, before you went to use it how long was it sitting or is it used everyday
they had issue with the dual speed sensor just above the air compressor
pull the IPR and check for a broken screen or debris on the screen
fuel primer on fuel filter has a bad o-ring and leaks down fuel causing a extended crank issue and aerated fuel from sucking in air

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2021 :  11:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It was used everyday . Another driver used it on a field trip and said a check engine light came on Then Monday morning I used it on a route . No issues .Last night couldn't the bus to move at all .Until this morning .
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2021 :  02:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since it's a 2004, fuel filters or air filter could be clogged. I'm thinking basics. We had an air filter get so clogged in a 2007 IC with Maxxforce DT, that the turbo actually collapsed the air filter and sucked part of it into the tube. Bus wouldn't move lol. I've also had fuel pressure regulators go bad on these CAT motors.

Edited by - g0ttadrift on 11/04/2021 02:38:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2021 :  12:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I suspected those things . I am new to Cats where is the fuel pressure regulator ? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2021 :  04:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://thetruckmechanictoolbox.blogspot.com/2019/01/fuel-pressure-regulator-basics.html
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2021 :  4:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the link !!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000