Hand sanitizer dispensers on buses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

firebus

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2020 :  3:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our district wants to install hand sanitizer dispenses on our buses, has anyone else done this and where/how did you mount them?

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2020 :  06:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im not a fan of it but when or if we get ours in were on the IC's on the space between the service door and first passenger side window not sure on the type a's where were gonna mount them. I for one dont think there gonna hold up in the bus let alone the mess there gonna cause.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2020 :  07:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking at them and waiting for our board to tell us yes or no.

We may go with a dispenser from Cintas or we may go with a pump bottle in a PVC pipe holder. More to follow.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2020 :  09:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not legal in california. A flammable liquid like that has to be in immediate possession of the passenger only.
Go to Top of Page

ACL

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2020 :  5:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have, in the past, had little cardboard buses on the dashboard with HS bottles in them. They wouldn't be nearly large enough for regular use, though.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2020 :  09:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ACL

We have, in the past, had little cardboard buses on the dashboard with HS bottles in them. They wouldn't be nearly large enough for regular use, though.

Anything flammable in not legal on a school bus in any state. However I do believe we are going to see this rule relaxed for Covid-19 because the chance of hand sanitizer becoming flammable is so low.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2020 :  4:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, you may be right. Although CHP was the one who called me and asked me to pass it along to the Transportation operations side that it is not legal and won’t be allowed. Same with dividers around the driver. I have never seen safety laws tossed out, for any reason. Never know though.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  10:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a lot of talk about this subject and many people saying its illegal, against the law and such. Please someone post the regulation that says so. My highers want to see it. I have search the FMVSS and NHTSA sites and come up empty.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  10:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=7d443eb75ceba033fed91e90f816b574&node=se49.6.571_1302&rgn=div8
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  5:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not in my office right now, but if my memory is correct, in California, CCR Title 13, #1216. Hope this helps you.

Edited by - 40ngone on 07/28/2020 6:27:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sammy

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  10:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sammy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More and more states are allowing hand santizer on buses now. Idaho and Wisconsin have both put out statements allowing it while NY has stated not allowed. Nebraska also allowing it
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2020 :  04:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope not, but you may see this break down on political lines just like everything else. I am in the camp of hand sanitizer poses very little risk of fire, and a useful aid in keeping kids safe. The state I am in,(california) has told us we cannot. At least in our area.
Go to Top of Page

bucksgarage

17 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2020 :  06:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit bucksgarage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ohio has this information from the Ohio State Patrol Bus Standards Manual that was added in June as follows:

Hand Sanitizer: (Added 06/15/2020)
- Personal use:
Stored securely with in the driver’s compartment, 12oz or less in capacity.
- Entry mounted dispenser:
Must be securely installed in the driver/entry area, either behind the handrail or just to the
right of the driver on the side of the dash.
- Cannot cause a catch point to the passengers as they enter or exit, nor can the installation
encroach into the bus entry point.
- Overall dimensions for the dispenser cannot exceed 6” in depth, 7” in width, and 12” in height.

I was also given information from my Rush Truck representative, that Ashland Schools used a Blue Bird washer reservoir, a fabricated brass nozzle, and an old International push-button switch, mounted just to the right of the driver dashboard and floor. I do have pictures if they can be sent some way. Might be somewhat pricey to install this, but an inventive set up to say the least!
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2020 :  12:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bucksgarage, great information. It looks like Ohio covered all aspects of this post. Thanks for the post.
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  05:27:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We made a system to secure to seat like a child restraint system. put in seat behind driver due to not using that seat during this time. Working great, using touch less system
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  10:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I washington here is limit to how bg the conatiner is . I want to say it's a couple ounces
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2020 :  04:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me update on what we have. We installed a battery operated gel dispensing pump that holds like 16 oz. This is not what we wanted or would have used.

Any way the issue is, after a few days the gel thickens and it doesn't pump unless you purge the crap out of it. I think this may be caused by the evaporation of the alcohol due to the heat here in south Georgia.

I think foaming would work better.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000