New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  12:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Governor just announced that all schools are shut down for 3 weeks.

Yeehaw.

Never thought I'd see this........

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  12:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its crazy here in Kansas city. Just fyi hold on to your kysor heater motors cant get them right now cause of the virus.
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  04:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whatever you do priority number one should be to purchase at least 5 years supply of toilet paper for you and your family . While you may get sick , death and despair all around you , at least in the end you can take a dump knowing you have quality 3 ply to wipe with . #toiletpaperhappiness
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  07:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by td083

Whatever you do priority number one should be to purchase at least 5 years supply of toilet paper for you and your family . While you may get sick , death and despair all around you , at least in the end you can take a dump knowing you have quality 3 ply to wipe with . #toiletpaperhappiness

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  07:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Governor just announced that all schools are shut down for 3 weeks.

Yeehaw.

Never thought I'd see this........

Are you going to be able to work?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  08:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm becoming the king of mobile foodservice starting Tuesday. My drivers and I will be delivering lunch to students 5 days a week until we resume school or the entire state gets entirely shut down.

Who knows, maybe SBF will pick up the story!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  08:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be. That's interesting.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

ACL

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  09:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We (in Virginia) are shut down on Monday for an administrative regroup, but so far no announcement of a further closure. However, everyone expects one. I'll be pretty amazed if we go back to school on Tuesday.
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  10:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So far business pretty much as usual here. A lot of field trip and sporting event cancellations but class as usual otherwise. We will see what happens today. For those hoarding TP, get some food too because one has to eat before one poops.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  10:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Michigan is shut down til April 6th
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  11:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update here, we are going to shut down classes for two weeks. Looks like most of the surrounding schools in San Diego County are closing also. We have been told to report for work on Mon. though. Hope that we can work through as I have a few projects that this would be a great time to get to.
Go to Top of Page

ACL

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2020 :  05:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Virginia is now on a two week shutdown. Our spring break is one week after that so it could turn into a four week break.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  02:01:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nova Scotia shut down schools for two weeks after march break which starts today , and they closed all work sites and garages

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  02:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are still able to work with the school down for three weeks. Maybe we can get caught up and have buses ready for inspection on time. Hope everyone stays healthy.
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  02:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ACL

Virginia is now on a two week shutdown. Our spring break is one week after that so it could turn into a four week break.

where in virginia are you located ?
Go to Top of Page

ACL

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  05:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Central Va., but the whole state is affected at the K-12 level. UVa students are not returning from spring break. Interestingly, Liberty University is so far not closing and those student are coming back from break next week. But they are putting a lot of pressure on the school's president to close.

From the WaPo: "It’s just strange to me how so many are overreacting,” Falwell said, comparing media coverage of the novel coronavirus to coverage of earlier epidemics. “It makes you wonder if there’s a political reason for that. Impeachment didn’t work, and the Mueller report didn’t work, and Article 25 didn’t work. And so maybe now this is their next attempt to get Trump.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/liberty-university-president-jerry-falwell-jr-says-in-person-classes-to-continue/2020/03/13/70b23a58-654e-11ea-acca-80c22bbee96f_story.html

Wow.

Edited by - ACL on 03/16/2020 05:42:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  06:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We all know this ^^ no matter the outcome , its Trumps fault . ok im in northern va why I was asking .
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  07:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, I agree. Unless there's something they aren't telling us about this thing. We are off for "at least" two weeks in Illinois. Return on the 31st. No one can enter a bus or the buildings after they are cleaned. I have been told I can work on buses.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  11:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
North central Indiana, done by area agreement as statewide has not been called. We in Warsaw area are off till the 13th of April, and like Thomas bus 24 we to are the means kids will be getting fed. Powers that be figure drivers will be better able to check on known hard luck kids and will have the discretion to let the best person know of any issues.
We are also putting buses with WiFi in areas where students haven't access for purpose of e- learning
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alberta closed schools indefinitely. They are not expecting to reopen until September. The big bus contractors have laid off all drivers. We are being asked to keep our drivers paid, despite reductions in contract pay. Schools are developing a plan to educate the students online. Uncertain days ahead.
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  3:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Closed here in Northern California until the 13th of April. I'm pretty sure that the majority of California is shut down as well. My mechanics and I will come in for a couple days and keep the buses current on their inspections. What a crazy world we live in!
Go to Top of Page

aaronthemech

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  09:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crazy times indeed!! Here in Washington State, ALL schools closed until April 27th, but the certified staff are all still working. The 2 neighboring districts have decided to call it the end of school for the year except for what is done online. But they won't be returning to classrooms for this school year. Our state school oversight is considering no employees in buildings for 4 -6 weeks. I'm just not sure what we are not being told down here at the worker bee level!!

-Aaron-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  10:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaronthemech

Crazy times indeed!! Here in Washington State, ALL schools closed until April 27th, but the certified staff are all still working. The 2 neighboring districts have decided to call it the end of school for the year except for what is done online. But they won't be returning to classrooms for this school year. Our state school oversight is considering no employees in buildings for 4 -6 weeks. I'm just not sure what we are not being told down here at the worker bee level!!

How far are you from the old folks home that got hit hard out there?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

aaronthemech

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  11:03:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That home was in South Seattle, we are about 80 miles (as the crow flies) towards the Pacific Ocean. Litteraly the upper left of a US map. Just 1 confirmed case in our county as of this morning. But everything is VERY fluid right now. Numbers are changing rapidly almost every day. Unfortunately, a lot of younger people just don't get it. I ran into a guy yesterday with his family that lives 3 miles from that old folks home that got hit, that had come over here to our area as a VACATION!! He didn't appreciate the response he got when he told people in Safeway that. The whole reason we are shut down is to stay away from large groups and let all this stuff run its course and die off. As long as people do things like that, it has the potential of making the rounds again.

-Aaron-
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  11:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Life Care Center is in Kirkland, Washington. Kirkland is a suburb on the east side of Lake Washington across from Seattle. As of yesterday 35 of the residents of the nursing home have died as a result of Covid19. Do a Goggle search and you'll see it's the poster child for how bad this can get quick.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  1:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

The Life Care Center is in Kirkland, Washington. Kirkland is a suburb on the east side of Lake Washington across from Seattle. As of yesterday 35 of the residents of the nursing home have died as a result of Covid19. Do a Goggle search and you'll see it's the poster child for how bad this can get quick.

Upsetting and sad. I don't think some people can take this seriously at all unless there were police driving around with bull horns telling them to stay put. I'm planning to keep coming in but I don't know how long that will last. Closest case is about 50 miles from us. Rumor has it that a local Japanese owned factory has two quarantined and waiting test results.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  3:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a nice nondescript type place that all our communities have; like where your grandmother may be. Maybe a guy you used to work with years ago rehabbing from a shoulder replacement, or, in my case a place my 88 year-old mom could be. My mom is in a smaller 5 person adult family home that's shut down tight. I just hope and pray things go well.

Our King County health department noted the first death at our local Kirkland hospital on February 29, and at that time the first resident from Life Care was at the hospital with Covid19. The next day it was reported 50 people at Life Care had symptoms of Covid19.

March 3, 5 residents died. By March 10th 19 were dead. 2 weeks later they had finally tested all the residents, and some of the employees(only the ones showing symptoms???). 27 residents were dead and it was found that 47! employees had Covid19.

Yesterday the Health Department reported 5 more Life Care deaths bringing us to the 35 deaths. That's how fast this tore through the community and this 1 nursing home. So when I hear reports like what aaronthemech said above, about that family from my community that was up vacationing in his community, it makes me shake my head. If 1 person in the grocery store transmits Covid19 to a local nursing home, those people are at a huge risk.

I hope this helps everyone with a little perspective of what can happen in a short time in your community.

19 days later, there are 56 dead in King County. We all need to do our part to put the brakes on this thing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000