Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 tire wear
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Bailey

3 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2020 :  08:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Bailey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 2017 IC buses and newer with rear air ride suspension. my inside dual wears real bad mainly on the inside of the inside dual tire, but all the rears are wearing poor. has anyone experienced this and if so what have you done to solve this problem and did it work. I have tried new OME shocks and every air pressure tests, 90psi to 110psi in the rears but still have the same results. Any suggestions?

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2020 :  09:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
measure from the center of the rear axle cover to the front hub cap(center of it also) if they don't measure the same on both sides add or remove shims located at the front of the rear spring hanger bolts

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2020 :  11:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
After checking the alignment per Bluenozer, check out your tread pattern are your rears all block style/ w open outside tread? We have gone to a tire with a closed out side tread and blocks in the center. Still have some wear on inside tires but with routs going in circles all the time it's unavoidable.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2020 :  12:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tigger2

After checking the alignment per Bluenozer, check out your tread pattern are your rears all block style/ w open outside tread? We have gone to a tire with a closed out side tread and blocks in the center. Still have some wear on inside tires but with routs going in circles all the time it's unavoidable.

I think it also depends on the crown of the road. I have most of my routes on old country roads and they all have a big crown in the middle making the inside of the inside tire carrying the weight.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2020 :  6:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this IC has the Continental Hdr2 tires they came with at that era they seem to be sensitive to the inner heal toe wear. I like Bwest have lots of crowned county roads. I rotate my wheels (switch inner with outer, leave on the same side) and it greatly increases the tire life. I have 150k kms on a set, rotated yearly, still measure 13mm. They are noisy for the first few thousand k
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  04:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been to IC factory and saw how the rear ends are put in the IC's. Not 1 single bus has a chance ever come out of there square to the chassis and your front axle. Look at most of your IC's going down the road from behind they crab walk. We had to align ever single 1 of our IC's.
We use the PROTRAK QTC
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bailey

3 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  06:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Bailey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I have already looked into some of your suggestions and have tried some of them and I am looking for other problems that might be causing this as well.Hope to find the cure. For now I'm only buying buses with leaf spring rear suspension be cause I have never had this problem until we went to the air ride.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  07:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think it also depends on the crown of the road. I have most of my routes on old country roads and they all have a big crown in the middle making the inside of the inside tire carrying the weight.

I agree with this. Air suspension or leaf, all of ours wear more on the inside of the inside duals. Especially the left side. We have lots of old country roads with a lot of crown. A lot of our roads also get "tracks" in the lane where everyone drives. Some of them are pretty severe. I could easily see where just the inside of the tire is carrying all of the load. The outside tire might not even be touching the ground in some areas.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  08:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]

The outside tire might not even be touching the ground in some areas.

Yep

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  04:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rear wheel bearing adjustment.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  07:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeepcjron

rear wheel bearing adjustment.

Agreed. Almost all of my new HDX's started wearing rear tires this way and found the rear wheel bearing adjustment to be too loose for my liking, to the point that withing the first 6000 miles on them the wear was noticeable and the seals were starting to leak. Ended up replacing the stemco seals with nationals, installed axilok nuts, and rotated the tires. It may be worth it for you to measure your end play if nothing else but to rule it out.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2020 :  05:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We started having this problem 4 or 5 years ago with our C2's, and we started switching from M/S tread to just regular straight tread on the rear, and it eliminated the problem. On the first C2's we got with the steer tires on the rear, we got around 85,000 miles before they needed replacing, that's compared to 20,000 miles and then 20,000 miles after getting them capped.
Go to Top of Page

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  07:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The other option is to replace the original air springs and/or electronic struts or shocks with a conversion kit that includes conventional coil steel springs with ordinary struts or shocks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000