What do you use for air leaks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  1:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The last couple years we have been plagued by air leaks . These have caused issues in our inspections . A lot of buses the driver will park and in a few hours or over night the low air buzzer will come on and the air pressure will be down to 60 or less lbs .I always used a mix of soap and water sprayed at fittings . Is this still the standard or is there another way that is better .My boss is worried our buses will be placed OS when inspected . Thanks

ACL

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  1:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me it’s odd that this can even show self as a problem as we always pump the brakes down when parking for any extended period, so we have no expectation that the buses will hold air pressure for hours on end. On my bus, the separate air reservoir for the door is always depleted overnight.

Our state requirement for pressure loss is two PSI per minute with the parking brake off, three with the service brake applied. Do you have a stricter requirement?

I have experienced air leakage in the front door system.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  6:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ours the same but my boss feels a 60 pound loss in 12 hours is too much . The newer buses drop only 5 or 10 pounds we have had issue during inspections where they have dropped 5 lbs in 1 minute and the bus was placed OS so we are a little paranoid the air loss has been the ABS relays

Edited by - valleybusman on 02/03/2020 11:05:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2020 :  04:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pre-mixed bottle of simple green is my go-to. It foams/bubbles well.

The PPDC parking valve and the valve that runs the back brakes over the axle...number escapes me right now...but those are our two frequent leakers.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2020 :  07:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even brand new trucks at the dealer ship do the same
get rid of push lock connectors they all will leak after time
i tell drivers they are made to lose air to ensure the operator does a proper warm up before leaving the yard.
Our inspectors only care about real leaks , brake can, air bag, things that he can hear while inspecting , but air loss(non-audible) over night that hurts no one

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

ACL

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2020 :  08:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"... my boss feels a 60 pound loss in 12 hours is too much . The newer buses drop only 5 or 10 pounds we have had issue during inspections where they have dropped 5 lbs in 1 minute"

There's a HUGE difference between 5 per minute and 60 in twelve hours! One is out of spec and the other is probably unrealistically good. I checked this morning and while I was parked between runs I lost an estimated 8 psi in 15~20 minutes. So, roughly half a psi per minute; well within spec yet it would almost certainly be under 60 after 12 hours.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2020 :  12:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I worked with air brake systems, we used an ultra sonic leak detector. Basically a mic and headphones tuned to the sound of an air leak. Point the mic end towards any valve or fitting in question and even a small leak could be herd clear as day. It was real beneficial to the people with hearing loss or for valves in places you can not get close to with ur ear.
Go to Top of Page

Gearbox

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  05:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Gearbox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This tool works great, have used one in the past
https://tracerproducts.com/air-brake-leaks/
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  09:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
60 lbs in 12 hrs isn't bad at all. As long as the air loss is less than the legal amount, you are fine. No repair needed. Like the others, here it is 2 lbs/min unapplied and 3 lbs/min applied.
I normally use soapy water but have also bought regular bubbles (for kids to blow bubbles), for real small or stubborn leaks.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  06:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A piece of 3' rubber fuel line stuck to your ear works pretty good if you don't have the budget for the high end tools. It will flex around this and that on the chassis chasing leaks.

I quiet shop works well too.....

Best of luck!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000