Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 ANYONE RUNNIN BLUEBIRD ROUSH GAS MOTORS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2019 :  12:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering going back to gas from these diesel emission nightmares. Bluebird runs these over priced Roush gas motors. Can anyone tell me how they are doing and what you have run into problems so far. I am know think since there is only a 5k difference between diesel to gas but maybe without all these emission friggin issues and these Shaw Development DEF head units that are bad right out of the box. It might be cheaper and less stressful than running these diesel emission disaster units.
Thanks for any input....

busmaster54

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2019 :  2:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit busmaster54's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 2 2019 conventional BB's with the gas engine. About 35,000 miles on them. No problems with the engine but lots of other problems around it. Several recalls for fuel line. emissions update. More other problems with electrical and the cheap down right disgusting park brake. Dealer is 2 hrs away and has terrible service. We will look at the IHC gas next>
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  07:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 2 BBs with the gas engine. It does well for what we use it for. We have had no major issues with the engine itself. We use them mostly around our smaller town to avoid issues for the diesels. There has been a number of recalls on them and I hate Blue Bird quality control. The buses themselves have had a number of issues due to quality control issues from the factory. I'm not thrilled about having the Ford transmission behind it because it changes it from everything else in our fleet that runs an Allison. We have some IC gas buses as well and they seem to have more power than the Roush, and they are backed by the Allison which helps to keep uniformity in the fleet.
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  08:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for input guys. Ya the body electrical really needs to be addressed at Blue Bird but we see a lot of the stuff they buy from outside companies are just selling them junk. Not really Blue birds fault. I know they have to be competitive priced. Before you guys go buy those IC's look at there replacement part prices, you could have bought 10 extra buses for parts for what it cost to keep one on the road with there ridiculous pricing increase. all to bail them out of the maxxforce disaster relief program .
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just fyi I run the psi gas motors and the parts they cover under factory warranty is outstanding and it covers things that bird does not cover I have both bird gas bird propane and psi gas in my fleet all my gas birds needed plugs this year as its 50000 mile required my psi are 60000 but my dealer says the plugs are covered just not the labor ? also just fyi I have had 2 bird transmission failures to date one at 52000 miles that was covered under warranty and one at 76000 that was not covered at all just my 2 cents

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  10:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was the trannys ford built or Allison. I will agree with you on GM engine wish it came in a Bird. I am not a Ford fan at all but its the only option right now in Bird. After what we went through with IC it will be very hard for us to ever go back. FORD says it has a warranty but I know to well they don't stand behind anything.
Go to Top of Page

busmaster54

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  4:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit busmaster54's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Myself and several others from around our state were invited by Navistar for a sit down and tell all good and bad about their product. The diesel problem was covered a bunch. They know it and the dealer does too but their hands are tied. We would go back to Navistar because their dealer here is top notch and I told them so. The BB dealer is not up to par. We have been sent to a service tech in Montana who has been a big help. These companies buy the add on products that are poor quality I'm sure as a cost savings but when purchasing a 80,000 plus vehicle that is to be the safest vehicle on the road they don't make happy customers!
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  03:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only transmission available in the bird gas or propane is a ford transmission the one that was not covered was out of ford warranty by a meer 2 weeks and they said oh sorry its not covered I appealed to ford care got the same response that why we are back to ic with the psi as they have the Alison transmission

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  05:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A transmission is bound to last longer behind the IC/PSI engine if its life has anything to do with the number of upshifts/downshifts performed.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  05:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busmaster54

We have 2 2019 conventional BB's with the gas engine. About 35,000 miles on them. No problems with the engine but lots of other problems around it. Several recalls for fuel line. emissions update. More other problems with electrical and the cheap down right disgusting park brake. Dealer is 2 hrs away and has terrible service. We will look at the IHC gas next>

I'm running 15 BB gas buses ranging from new to 35,000 miles. Zero engine issue. We are averaging 6.3 mpg. I'm spending $19 on an oil change. Air filter and air compressor filters are inexpensive. All of my data comes from FleetVision, so feel free to ask
The drivers like the quietness of the engine and how fast the heaters get hot.
I've got our wiring issue resolved by having the top harness all wire loomed.

My cost per mile is .261

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  11:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow I cant even buy 7 quarts of oil for 19 bucks I pay 2.95 a quart and 3.72 for the filter I need your supplier

Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  12:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeeptjken

wow I cant even buy 7 quarts of oil for 19 bucks I pay 2.95 a quart and 3.72 for the filter I need your supplier

FleetPride under the cummins filtration program.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  11:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, mine cost about 30 bucks. I use synthetic oil and a Napa Gold filter.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  12:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

Do you all purchase under government contract pricing? Almost everything we do is under government contracts and a reason why our maintenance cost or lower.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  08:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

quote:

quote:

Do you all purchase under government contract pricing? Almost everything we do is under government contracts and a reason why our maintenance cost or lower.

How does that work?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  08:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RonF

quote:

quote:

How does that work?

I'm not sure how it works. That would be a question for your State department of ed.

I think it starts here.
https://www.gsa.gov/governmentwide-initiatives/school-support

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  10:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  1:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do these still run 3 fuel filters. 1 by fuel tank in back and primary secondary on motor.
also what are they using for an air filter.
If someone has all filter numbers anyway of posting it so I can get prices and do a price comparison.
Thanks again for everyone's input GREATLY APPRICIATED
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  05:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unclefish

Do these still run 3 fuel filters. 1 by fuel tank in back and primary secondary on motor.
also what are they using for an air filter.
If someone has all filter numbers anyway of posting it so I can get prices and do a price comparison.
Thanks again for everyone's input GREATLY APPRICIATED

No external fuel filter on the gas bus. It's all part of the in tank pump.

Oil filter. LF 3681 or Napa 1372. standard ford oil filer
air filter AF 27882 or Napa 9902
Air compressor filter AF364

What else you need?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  06:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whats your oil change schedule
also do you just use OBD2 scanner to hook to bus. also will hook to meritor wabco and or Bendix brake system or do you need a separate computer for that.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  07:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

also do you just use OBD2 scanner to hook to bus. also will hook to meritor wabco and or Bendix brake system or do you need a separate computer for that.

LOF 5K
Air filter and compressor filter 20K
spark plugs 60K
Trans fluid/ filter/ air dryer, coolant flush 730 days

I use the round plug with Inline 6 cummins translator and Roush clean tech software. FREE. I haven't used the Bendix software on one yet but I don't see why it won't work.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  11:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I use a Noregon system I got from NAPA. Doesn't work well with this system. Going to buy a passthrough device called Dashbridge and use Roush software pretty soon.
I change oil every 8k using synthetic. I've had no major engine issues with this regiment.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  12:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Propane motors have done very well 21,000-68,000 very little problems
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000