Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 MT643 temp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kevmart75

4 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  10:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kevmart75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 95 international Thomas with a DT408 & MT643, we are at the base of the mountains in Georgia and I have started to notice after driving for over an hour and then starting to climb some hills im losing some power. Is this the to trans temp that could cause this? I'm not getting a warning light for the transmission temp and the engine temp is around 190 to 200 when climbing the bills according to the stock gage. Would I add a additional trans cooler if so?

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  11:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is this original transmission?

Does it shift hard at all when it gets towards the top of hills? Do you have a temp guage for the trans?
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  12:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
warning is around 230-240 degrees, you might try new fuel filters or premium fuel ( higher cetane)
Go to Top of Page

Kevmart75

4 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  1:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kevmart75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddo

is this original transmission?

Does it shift hard at all when it gets towards the top of hills? Do you have a temp guage for the trans?

I assume it's the original trans. Not if shifts normal to me
I know if I let it sit and cool for an hour it drives up bills fine
Go to Top of Page

Kevmart75

4 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  1:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kevmart75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have a temp gage I looked for one but can't find the right size for the lines. I'm not that great with this Hd stuff. I'm good with cars but this bus is tricky. Do y'all know what size the trans lines are?
Go to Top of Page

Kevmart75

4 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kevmart75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tigger2

warning is around 230-240 degrees, you might try new fuel filters or premium fuel ( higher cetane)

Ok so dumb question but that can cause this issue? It run find after I let it cool down so that's why I'm asking.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  08:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fuel filter suggestion is because it sounds like you may be experiencing lack of power at the top of hills. Not sure where you are at, but I have to change diesel fuel filters much more frequently than I do gasoline fuel filters on my fleet. If you have old fuel filters, it could cause the issue you describe. That is a cheap, easy, and routine fix- and a great place to start.

the trans cooler on this is in the radiator. so perhaps try blowing out the radiator with pressurized air may be helpful. The Stock radiator should be enough to keep the trans cool, unless you have a fully loaded bus and are towing 2 more busses. This doesn't sound likely since your engine temps are good.

You didn't say how many miles are on this engine. Could be age related, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000