Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Brake Backing Plates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  2:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
2020 IHC 65 passenger Type C bus. I am doing an annual inspection for the first time on this bus, it did not come with backing plates for the brakes from the factory. My question is: Do any of you tech's know if brake backing plates are required by fmvss, or any other manufacturing standard? I have been researching this and am not coming to an answer, and since this collective of expertise has forgot more than I will ever know, help if you can please. Thanks for your help in advance.

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  02:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Nova Scotia either they're all there or all gone

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  03:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muddywater

2020 IHC 65 passenger Type C bus. I am doing an annual inspection for the first time on this bus, it did not come with backing plates for the brakes from the factory. My question is: Do any of you tech's know if brake backing plates are required by fmvss, or any other manufacturing standard? I have been researching this and am not coming to an answer, and since this collective of expertise has forgot more than I will ever know, help if you can please. Thanks for your help in advance.

None of our Blue Birds come with them. 2015 and newer. Our inspector likes them. So it's ok in Georgia.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  04:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not required in Iowa

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  05:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No for Ohio. We don't order them and we removed them from older buses that had them. I like being able to inspect the entire side of the shoe, others prefer the shoe be protected from gravel and such.
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  08:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have no problem removing them here in CA.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  11:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Either or doesn't matter here in Washington state I like them . I have fewer problems with them on .
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  11:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant answer for fmvss, but I haven't seen them on any of my trucks since 2016. I made a minor stink about it the first ones I got without them, and was told it wasn't something the higher ups were interested in paying for, but if I wanted them, I was free to install them.
I haven't done so.

My 2019's came with a spare wheel, but no spare tire. Anything to save a buck...
Go to Top of Page

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2019 :  09:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, one an all, for your responses. I was under the impression, from many years ago, that they had to have backing plates. And since this is the first bus we have ever had with-out backers, I was about to call the IC dealer and give them some hate and discontent. Thank you for saving me from that embarrassment. I'll compare how they function with, and with-out backers, who knows, maybe I'll be taking the others off! Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

cftransportation

6 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2019 :  10:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit cftransportation's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine rot off up here in ny i welcome it because it gives me good looks on shoe wear
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000