Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bedfordone

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  07:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TransportQueen

3 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2019 : 07:05:15 AM Show Profile Visit TransportQueen's Homepage Reply with Quote
I found an article from Ireland about a safety feature that locks emergency doors when the bus hits a certain speed, then unlocks them when the bus goes below that speed. They implemented this in response to several students who fell or jumped from moving buses, which is a widespread problem in the States too. Have you guys heard of American buses (or any buses) that have a feature like this?

I know FMVSS 217 requires an interlock system, but since it only requires that the bus not START while the doors are locked, I think a feature like this would still comply. I'm just curious if anybody has more information on doors like this, I'd be very interested to see what's out there.

Here's the article for reference:
https://www.independent.ie/life/family/learning/new-doors-wont-open-at-speed-26281983.html

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  08:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would suspect that this would not comply with current law. That being said, I believe it would possibly be a good addition. On the flip side (from my mechanic half) I don't believe I would want the added troubled and wiring that this will bring.
Just my two cents.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  09:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im sure many would argue over how a system like this would failsafe in the unlocked position, and the potential of an emergency exit being unusable if/when it is needed. I think it would be a bad idea for any exit to be locked at any time other than when the bus is stationary and empty.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  05:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to like locking exits (FMVSS compliant vandal locks). Then I had a bus roll over.

During the post-crash, the patrolman and I were working together to do the inspection before uprighting the bus and we discovered that during the crash sequence, the body had twisted and the barrel bolt lock had moved and was about 1/16" from locking the door shut.

I'd be concerned that this could happen to an automatic lock, getting it jammed on an angle where it couldn't release or was still otherwise holding the doors shut.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  06:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I used to like locking exits (FMVSS compliant vandal locks). Then I had a bus roll over.

During the post-crash, the patrolman and I were working together to do the inspection before uprighting the bus and we discovered that during the crash sequence, the body had twisted and the barrel bolt lock had moved and was about 1/16" from locking the door shut.

I'd be concerned that this could happen to an automatic lock, getting it jammed on an angle where it couldn't release or was still otherwise holding the doors shut.

Good Point!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  08:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We remove that ring before ever putting the bus in service.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000