New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  12:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone scrapped a bus engine yet under the VW settlement program? Trying to figure out the easiest way to put that 3" hole in the block.

WrenchMonkeyCSISD

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  1:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A plasma cutter or cutting torch would be my go to.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  2:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This reminds me of a time when I worked at the bike shop. We had a prototype SeaDoo watercraft at the shop that our rep had brought in. They told us they have to destroy them within 12 months of pay tariffs or taxes or something on it and being basically a hand built unit it was a hefty fee. Anyway, we had this cocky tech that had just bought himself a dead-blow sledge hammer. He grabbed it and proceeded to attempt to knock a large hole in the hull right up on top in the front. The hammer bounced off the fiberglass hull and hit him square in the forehead and knocked him out cold. He had a concussion and was out of work for a week or so but he wasn't quite as cocky when he came back.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  04:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The DERA grant documents show a guy using a hole saw to put a hole into a 466, but I'd have to think a torch would be better. Would plasma work or is the block too thick? I've never tried to use mine on something that thick.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  06:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Either and run???
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  08:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by exmod110

Either and run???

That would definitely be fun! But I think you have to drill the hole in it to meet the requirements.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  11:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:
Originally posted by exmod110

Either and run???

That would definitely be fun! But I think you have to drill the hole in it to meet the requirements.

Pretty sure if blow a 3" (or bigger) hole in the block, you're golden - they don't care how you "git 'er done". I'm thinking our Risk Management dept. and OSHA might not like us doing it that way, though .

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  11:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

The DERA grant documents show a guy using a hole saw to put a hole into a 466, but I'd have to think a torch would be better. Would plasma work or is the block too thick? I've never tried to use mine on something that thick.

We were thinking the same - our plasma cutter may not have enough depth to do it.

Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  12:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've done 7 3116/ISB's so far using the cutting torch. Drain the oil, fill pan with water, blow a hole in it. Fire it up and go park it! Call the tow truck.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  08:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

We've done 7 3116/ISB's so far using the cutting torch. Drain the oil, fill pan with water, blow a hole in it. Fire it up and go park it! Call the tow truck.

Ha, that's cool! Maybe if the junk yard is close enough you could drive it there. The scrap yard close to me is about a half mile down the road.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  09:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

Thanks for the confirmation! That's exactly what one of the techs I work with suggested. We were all thinking a hole saw would take forever.

Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  10:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, it's pretty cool to watch the crankshaft spin around and splash in the water. My guys were going to push it back to it's stall, and then they thought "I wonder if it'll run?"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000