C2 Entrance Door Weld Service Campaign
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  06:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had Thomas come and perform this recall on your fleet?

https://autobusthomas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/SF539.pdf

They came a few months ago and installed the new brackets, and for some reason adjust the door linkage. Then one of the "techs" decided to install a gigantic nylon lock-nut on the bottom of the motor to prevent the linkage from camming over. The lock-nut is so big that the threads that it is installed on doesn't even come in contact with the nylon part of the nut, which causes the nut to back off and the arm to come off the motor which causes the door not to be able to open and close.....

This has been torture to our fleet. The doors are all out of adjustment now, some do not close all the way, some you cannot release with the emergency release, some pop really loud when they are opened and close and some of the door leafs will not even push back together when the driver parks the bus.

We have called the Midwest dealer in Litchfield Il and had the tech come back a few times, but it's never been fixed. We have tried to get the original nuts so we can try to get our doors fixed and they act like we are the only ones having this problem.

We can't be the only ones this has happened to.

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  07:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only had a few of mine done but I haven't had any issues yet. Do you have access to Thomasbusonline ?

They have a small troubleshooting section that may help get your door issues corrected.

The diagram shows the large lock nut included in the drive lever kit ( EBR 3 27 PK)

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  07:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked, we have two with electric doors that were built in May of 2017. The door brackets do have the additional two flat head screws so the campaign must of been completed on these two buses before we took delivery in September of 2017. No problems here.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  08:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buster133

I've only had a few of mine done but I haven't had any issues yet. Do you have access to Thomasbusonline ?

They have a small troubleshooting section that may help get your door issues corrected.

The diagram shows the large lock nut included in the drive lever kit ( EBR 3 27 PK)

We had two tech's show up to do our work. The main guy said that the other guy should have never added the nuts as they aren't part of the kit they had, and was skeptical when they were being installed and had tried to get the original nuts back from him in case anyone had problems. When they were doing this work, they removed the old brackets and threw them in our parking lot and left them lay there. I had to go out right as everyone (myself included) was getting ready to leave to go to school, and pick them up so they didn't run over them and screw up a tire.

As far as adjusting the doors, it's pretty bad that we have to go back through all of our doors and spend time adjusting them again. This nonsense hit us right on our state inspection time.

Edited by - baptistbusman1 on 03/16/2019 12:34:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000