New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  06:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering what different states have in the way of requirements for technicians and TDs. For Illinois it is nothing.

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  06:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No requirements needed in Indiana, most departments want mechanics to have CDL with PP and school bus endorsements.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  07:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Colorado, we must possess a class B CDL with a bus, passenger, and air brake endorsements. We are our own inspectors and have to pass a 100 question written test initially and a hands on test to obtain our inspector certification. We are INSPECTORS according to the state, not techs. We must have verifiable brake experience and work and/or school experience. The problem I see with our state is the rules are a bit loose and there probably isn't as much accountability as there should be. I am a third party hands on tester and I can test anyone who wants to obtain their inspector certificate. I think the hands on test needs to be revamped as it doesn't cover nearly as much of an annual inspection as it should.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  08:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Nova Scotia, Canada either Red Seal tech or appt. tech must in the government program and a PUB department does all safety checks on units that carry over 9 passengers(in NS and PEI)

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  06:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KY is a Class B CDL with P (passenger) & S (school bus) endorsement's
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  07:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Georgia CDL B P/S endorsement

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  08:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MO class b with p&s air brake and inspectors license but worked with guys with no cdl or inspectors license.
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  11:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Iowa, nothing required for TD or Techs. Just have to get Passenger & School Bus licenses. The State has inspectors that come twice a year to do the safety inspection on all vehicles that transport students.
ED
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  9:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
washington a Class B no air brake restriction passenger passenger 2 . If you have ase more money
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  11:11:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the responses. I just find it interesting that the people in charge of maintenance and directing the operation, aren't required to have any licensing or anything. Amazing

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

WrenchMonkeyCSISD

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  9:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The going trend is that as long as you can drive a bus, you can be trained to be a mechanic. I've seen a few that couldn't change a tire if you walked them through it, yet their trusted to do brake jobs on a bus. It's has been put to us that even though we are recognized as fleet mechanics by the district we're bus drivers first. I guess whatever it takes to put a warm body in that seat.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000