Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 BlueBird Propane milage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Camperhead

10 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  11:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Camperhead's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the average what kinda mileage is typical of the propane models 2015? Ours runs a rural route with no town mileage, no 4 lane mileage either. Dash is giving us 3.6 average. Is that about right?

Any operating tips for better?

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  12:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is about what we are getting on route. We have 3 propanes. Oldest one is a 2013, newest 2019. If they go on a road trip they will get about 4 mpg. That's about it.
Ed
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  2:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine get 4.5 to 4.9 on route and 5.0 to 5.5 on a trip with highway miles. There is a programing change for the transmission that will make them shift sooner so they won't rap out so high. You might look into that.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  04:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ours are 2017 and 2019 model year. Average 4.1 on routes and 5.5 on trips.
Go to Top of Page

Camperhead

10 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  06:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Camperhead's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you use the software from Roush for the updates or take to a dealer for that?

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Mine get 4.5 to 4.9 on route and 5.0 to 5.5 on a trip with highway miles. There is a programing change for the transmission that will make them shift sooner so they won't rap out so high. You might look into that.

Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  06:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 12 of them, 10 on very rural routes and we avg 5.1 MPG, I do miles by fuel usage to get the numbers. It is a learning curve from diesel to propane for drivers. I also have Thomas propane and we are seeing almost the same numbers on them. I have 2014-2017 Bluebirds and no updates have been done on mine.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  11:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Camperhead

Do you use the software from Roush for the updates or take to a dealer for that?

quote:

Blue Bird dealer does it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  11:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wwinters

We have 12 of them, 10 on very rural routes and we avg 5.1 MPG, I do miles by fuel usage to get the numbers. It is a learning curve from diesel to propane for drivers. I also have Thomas propane and we are seeing almost the same numbers on them. I have 2014-2017 Bluebirds and no updates have been done on mine.

5.1 is impressive

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2019 :  08:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

5.1 is impressive

Agreed, our BB, IC and Thomas propanes generally run 4 to 4.5 mpgs on routes, might exceed 5 mpg on trips. All hand calculated.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2019 :  10:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

quote:

quote:

5.1 is impressive

Yes, hand calculations is what I do as well. This can be flawed to a point though. Depending on the temperature, you can put more or less in the tank. Of course temp affects gasoline or diesel as well. lol

Agreed, our BB, IC and Thomas propanes generally run 4 to 4.5 mpgs on routes, might exceed 5 mpg on trips. All hand calculated.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000