New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  07:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have this ic bus and the lower bearing is gone og the steering column the dealer said itsnot serviceable but then he said between u an me it can be done he has had customers get the number of the bearing and replaced it would anyone happen to know a bearing number that will fit this or has anyone done this before a new column is over 1000 bucks

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  10:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
watch out for liability in case of an accident , if they see a bearing installed where the oem only supplies a complete package they'll get you
They closed a shop up here for a pressure side p/s line not being oem even though it did not cause the accident
oem's have us by the short and curly's on some parts (braking,steering)

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  11:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hear u only reason i am thinkin of doing it is beacause the my dealer gave me the idea
Go to Top of Page

Chathambus

4 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  1:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have replaced 3-5 bearings in the past few years. Our DOT inspector pointed out issues with the bearing throughout the region and we replaced one column and matched the bearing with the local bearing distributor. He has no issue with the bearing replacement. Kaman Bearing Distributor #6905-2RS under $15. The last bearing was replaced after the driver felt/heard a "clicking" 2015 IC just under 42Kmi. I will post the pictures
Definitely understand the liability issues with non OEM. But OEM is made in China as well. We can't win. Yet....
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  12:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks chathambus i ordered the bear found it for 8 bucks will try it out if it does look and feel good when i am down will get new column doesnt hurt to try it out for 8 bucks
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  12:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've changed a few of these using the 6905-2rs bearing. Just need to polish the shaft and use a dremel with a small grinding bit to slice the races and pry them off. It's a pretty easy job. Usually takes less than a hour.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  6:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still waiting for bearing to come in did u pull the column out to do job or did u do it while it was still in?
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  11:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do it in the bus. Pull the fender off and there's plenty of room.
Go to Top of Page

Chathambus

4 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  12:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We take them out and put in the vise. Either way is about an hour. Probably longer the first time. Order a spare
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  4:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok finally got it in I did it right in the bus I cut the old one out with Dremel was hard at all pressed new bearing in with a extra deep socket after polishing shaft everything went smooth thanks for info guys
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000