08 MAXXFORCE fuel diagram
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  09:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have a fuel diagram of a 08 Maxxforce DT466 handy?

My 08 bus flashed the "fuel filter" on the display a few times on a trip out of the district yesterday. On the return trip "fuel filter" stayed on. I was driving luckily.

Made it home, changed filter and checked rock screen, went to use hand primer to bleed any air I could out before I tightened down the filter cap and primer moves zero fuel!! Primer goes in and out fine, just doesn't work... After filter change engine started and then ran a minute or two, stumbled and died. No restart!!

I pressured the tank till fuel squeezed past the filter cap o-ring and primer still moves no fuel. I think my filter housing is bleeding back to the tank. Is there a return line check??

I have read where the main pump (mines mechanical)has check valves that come apart, but what about the primer? Does it have any??

Bus has gotten fusy lately about starting without a long grind of the starter. Some mornings it wont turn over two revs and starts. I am thinking my extended start times and this issue are one in the same!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  09:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Edited by - JoeHEB1 on 12/07/2016 09:25:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JoeHEB1 you are the man!!!

I guess other than the check valve/fitting #17 all the other checks are made into the filter head assy. Grrr!! I read its pretty spendy!!

Ive got another bus with issues I can rob parts off of if needed since its a 150 mile round trip to my nearest dealer......

Thanks again for the diagrams!!!
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  12:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have seen this many times the fuel filter housing / primer pump is bad , we always just change the fuel filter housing assy just had 1 a week ago . we have a ton of these engines in our fleet may be a cheaper way to go but im unaware at this point
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  1:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And yes exactly your extended crank at start is caused by this , the fuel basically drains back towards tank wont notice usually until a overnite sit usually.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  5:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by td83

And yes exactly your extended crank at start is caused by this , the fuel basically drains back towards tank wont notice usually until a overnite sit usually.

Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2016 :  04:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that check valve causes me problems as well fun fun

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2016 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the schrader valve up and to the right of the filter housing plumbed into the fuel rail? I am having a whale of a time bleeding this thing after it running out of fuel after the filter change.

Edited by - CISDbusman on 12/08/2016 12:54:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2016 :  12:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2016 :  1:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I jack up the rear of the bus to level the engine and aid in bleeding the air. The bleeder should be in the front!
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  1:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those mechanical pumps are notorious for coming apart. We have 10 of these engines and pretty sure we've changed every single one of them. And those fuel filter headers are about $400 last time we got one. Absolute nonsense.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  06:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE:

I put the new parts on the bus over Christmas break. 1500 dollars worth of parts to be exact. I replaced the water pump, t-stat, one outside rearview mirror and the pump and filter head.

Bus was moved to the shed where it sat for about 5 days. This am I got on it to warm it up for morning routes, waited for 'wait to start" light to go out and turned the key. Bus made about 3 revs and started!!! Not a miss,sputter or stumble!!

Long start time has been fixed I feel also!!

Thanks for the comments and the help EVERYONE!!

Edited by - CISDbusman on 01/03/2017 10:27:17 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000