Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 All American fuel gauge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  10:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have an 2007 AA transit and the fuel gauge continues to cycle from empty to full and back again all the time with time with key on. Tried changing to another plug in on trans temp and gauge still does it. Tried a new gauge with no help. Only the fuel gauge works like this. Anyone else experienced this? ED

Been Deleted

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  11:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a sending unit go bad and that made the fuel gauge do that. No signal made the gauge sweep.
Go to Top of Page

bandit

41 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  11:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit bandit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem but the gauge sweeps and goes back to empty, I put a new sending unit in with no luck
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  12:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am trying to get to the sender now. Will post if that works. Stupid phillips head screws!!!!
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondering what you found - remember, on these Actia setups all the signals go to the speedo head, which controls the other gauges. Sweeping indicates loss of data stream, so it could possibly be the speedo itself.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  07:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't gotten back to it yet. I have been in touch with our our dealer and they said the same thing about speedo. I have a schematic to look at now so will get at it soon.
I had Iowa state bus inspection last week so am trying to catch up.
Thanks,
ED
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2013 :  12:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well after much trial and tribulation I installed a new sender and that still did not solve the sweep problem. I took the old sender and grounded it to the body of the bus and it worked as normal. To solve the problem I installed a length of electrical wire to one of the mounting bolts on the sender and then ran it to a cross member under the bus and attached it there. It works fine now. I had checked continuity to ground from the white wire and it was OK but still wouldn't work without grounding to bus body. I's a ground situation somewhere but can't locate it.
Thanks for the help.
ED
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  12:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. It's important to be well grounded!

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000