Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 1991 Bluebird Wiring & Air Brake Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Converted Bluebird

3 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  2:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Converted Bluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I am new here and thank anyone upfront for your help.

I have a few questions on my 1991 Snubnose Bluebird Bus that I have converted to an RV.

While it was parked at a friend's for his use, his dog has done me the favor of pulling out some of the engine wiring. Most seems to be connected to the temperature sending units. (I think that there were three) Do those connect in series and to what color harness wire to the guage cluster do they connect to? Is there a Internet location for an official Bluebird wiring schematic?

The second is a problem with the air parking brake. It is currently stuck in the out position but the brakes are NOT on. The system pumps up and bleeds off as it should but when I push the parking brake in it will not stay unless I hold it for about a minute. Once I then release it there is no change ie. - no air release noise.

Thanks for the forum and for any help.

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  07:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say try and wipe down the wires and get the color and circuit number off the ones in question. Then pull your instrument panel back to see which one goes to the gauge. No one here probably has a diagram for something that old handy. Most were a big fold out the size of a map. Maybe if you find circuit numbers, colors, and posting photos would be helpful. Some of those "senders" might be switches for shutters, or running lamps.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  11:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is truly a long shot, but try your body number (or VIN if body number doesn't work) on this website: http://service.blue-bird.com/wiringschematics/ - it says it only goes back to 2002, but I've gotten diagrams for my late '90s Birds.

My guess on your parking brake is that the valve has failed. It's called a PP-1, and it's probably a Bendix 276566X (but look on the valve to be sure.)

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Converted Bluebird

3 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  9:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Converted Bluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the reply and help.

Is the parking brake valve your refering to the dash switch or is there another valve in the system?
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  1:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was talking about the dash switch. There is another valve in the back, a spring brake modulating valve (mine have a Bendix SR7 but I'm not sure if your bus is too old for that type) that does the actual work of exhausting the spring brake side of the chambers. This valve also keeps you from applying air to both the spring and service sides of the chambers at the same time.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey converted BB. You got some photos of your rig?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Converted Bluebird

3 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  12:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Converted Bluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help partsman ba. This is all very new ground for me as I have never worked on air brake systems but I will tract it down.

WolfOr, yes I do have a few around. I will see if I can load some, if not e-mail me at harriskjv1@juno.com and I will send you some that way.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000