Thermal Windows
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rick Russell

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  09:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While installing thermal windows in one of our busses today, I noticed that the tag from Autobus Thomas Inc. includes ***Ce cote a l'interieur*** which indicates that "this side goes to inside". Anyone know what the difference would be ?

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  4:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are you saying you were installing tinted glass or something else? As far as this side in or out never heard of it, myself my buses have either laminated or tempered glass for windows. Some a combination of both types. I look at the old windows where there manufactures marker is and match it to the rest. I can't say I've ever noticed that message. Do they use a different type of window in Canada? I don't have any thomas buses either.
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  03:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked for a company several years ago that bought some buses from Canada and yes the had double paine glass in the passenger windows. I'm sure that Alaska has them too.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  06:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's interesting! Do they insulate the floors and walls more for colder climates?
Go to Top of Page

Rick Russell

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  06:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here the door glass is thermal ( double panes ) as well as the first two windows behind the door, and on the left side the drivers slider and the first windows behind the driver. None of these are tinted. All the other windows in the busses are either laminated or tempered, and can be tinted. The walls are insulated with fiberglass insulation, and the floors have 3/4 inch plywood between the rubber and the metal. These Thermal windows will not pass an annual inspection if moisture gets inside, and all too often lately there is. Some of our oldest busses have original windows still, but the newer ones are always in need it seems. Some of the door glass is tempered thermal glass and each of the 4 windows in the door is over $260 (C2). Other glass costs us $30 and up. I sure would like to know WHY there is an inside and an outside as thee is no discernable difference.
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  4:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's pretty much the MI MSBO spec. Most districts opt to go single pane on the glass because of the fogging issue. Many do r/r failed thermo-pane with single pane glass.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  5:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Coming from a non school mechanic background 9yrs ago, have never seen a double pane bus window. So it goes ya learn something new everyday.
Reading your post, as justin says sounds like my buses spec's other than the double pane windows.

Sounds like with the fogging issue they are truely Double Pains! Thought maybe justin would have an answer why it matters which side goes in or out.
Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  12:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Minnesota we speak English, German & Scandinavian. No French but we wish the new people would speak English.

I have required dual pane windows in every bus that I purchased starting in 1962. Drivers left windows & 1st seat. Top entrance door & bottom until I modified the step blower in the 70s to also clear the bottom single glass. Two seat windows on right side and the rear emergency door top & bottom.

The dual pane windows for the three student seats on the 1962, 1963, 1964 years were actually storm windows that we installed on the outside in the winter and removed in the spring. When a student sitting in one of those three seats opened the drop down sash window the storm window still covered the opening.

All school buses stored inside a garage out of direct sunlight kept the moisture/fog problem between the glass to a minimum.
Dwight

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)

Edited by - dwight on 08/17/2012 3:35:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  3:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

Thought maybe justin would have an answer why it matters which side goes in or out.

Speculation leads me to suspect matching the roping for setting the glass in the frame, lettering on exit windows or some other nonsuch.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Rick Russell

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  10:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These windows are secured in aluminum frames that are screwed together and both pieces of glass have the same markings. Still a mystery to me!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2023 :  08:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering buying or selling a used school bus? It’s important to thoroughly inspect the condition of the windows and ensure they meet the necessary safety standards. https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/10011948/tips-on-buying-and-selling-used-school-buses
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000