New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  2:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

Just a quick question. My 01' International has a green button on the dash that says "fuel econ". I know that the IC's in later years also have this switch.

My route is mostly in the country and a bit on the highway. I then come into town and drive the city streets. It's the reverse in the afternoon.

What benefit would i have by switching this switch on? Another driver told me "Don't bother with it. Just drive it!"

I notice that the bus handles a bit better in the country on slippery roads with the button on.

Any tips?

Thanks

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  07:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All it does is alter the shift points on the Allison transmission. You may get better heat to the heaters with button off and slightly better fuel economy with it on.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  7:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe it is the same as the MODE button on later transmissions. When engaged, the transmission will go to higher gears quicker so the engine doesn't rev up as high. It also holds a higher gear longer before downhifting. Lower engine speed equals less fuel burned but it also may mean lower power. If you're in the country, I'd turn it on and monitor the fuel mileage for improvement. Every time you shut the key off you may have to turn the Econ switch back on.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000