New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  06:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have to change a lift pump on 1999 t444 anything i should worry about when i take pump off will anything fall in motor

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  06:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just make sure the plunger doesn't drop haven't had it happen to me but they say it happens.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  07:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do i prevent that from happening????????
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  07:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you just pull pump out you run the risk of the pump pushrod/tappet falling into the crankcase. Proper procedure is to remove bolts and make sure pump isn't stuck but do not remove, then rotate crankshaft and watch pump, when the cam lobe raises the loose pump to its highest position the pump can be safely removed without fear of the pump tappet falling into crankcase.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 01/24/2012 07:26:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  07:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the FSM;

"1. Disconnect the lines between the fuel transfer pump and the fuel filter. Plug the lines.

2. Disconnect both fuel supply tubes from the fuel transfer pump. Plug the tubes.

3. Remove the two mounting bolts that secure the fuel transfer pump to the base of the crankcase.

4. Rotate the engine by hand until the pump is pushed up approximately 1/2 inch. This places the cam lobe at the top. In this position, if the tappet falls out of the pump during removal, it will not enter the crankcase.

5. Remove the fuel transfer pump.

6. If required, retrieve the tappet from the fuel transfer pump bore located in the crankcase. Insert the tappet into the base of the fuel transfer pump."

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 01/24/2012 07:29:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  07:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks alot guys got it out didnt loose tappet
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  4:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it even possible to loose the tappet down the cam hole? Ive had some of these corroded in so tight the pump had to be broken off down in the hole . When the oring was removed the bottom of the housing and tappet came out easily . The seal on the tappet shaft holds the tappet in pretty good so it should never fall out.
Go to Top of Page

oldmech

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  05:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yea. Been there once. I bumped it on something lifting it up and it went right down the hole.I ended up pulling the pan which is not fun to say the least.I was told they always go to the bottom of the pan and in my case it did.But I don't know if I would believe "always".The last one I changed broke off too, but if that sucker goes down the hole it will definitly ruin your day.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000