Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Take on new IC electric door?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC_cruiser2804

48 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  6:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else have em yet? My district just got 4 in with them, and that was the cause of them being late here too was the new door.
I just checked em out today, and man is this thing SOLID. Feels like a steel door! Very great design, inside and out with the new mechanism and seals, and NO BOUNCING anymore! Only complaint is its kinda slow, okay, reaaaly slow. IC, speed this thing up?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  07:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does IC offer a manual door any more? I really don't like an air or electric door. I thought they would be really cool when I first got one but as time has gone by I think the old way is best. What do you guys think?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  07:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^ Keep in mind where you're asking that question.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  07:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A local district here got 10--2011?-12 IC's last year with manual doors, so I believe you can still get them.

As far as the elec/air vs manual, I prefer the manual door myself, but we have less complaints and comp claims for shoulder probs(LOL) with the air/elec doors. Plus I think the they (the drivers) would probably file a grievance with the union, if they had had to swing a manual door again on there regular route. I have a hard enough time getting them to drive the spares(LOL)while I fix the air door on their bus.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  10:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess my bunch are different than others. I only have three out there and I know two of the drivers would trade theirs for manuals in a heartbeat. Of course those two would trade the IC or any other brand too.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  1:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anxious to see the new door. Defrosting system was slated for improvement too.
I don't mind the power doors so much, just not a huge fan of the steering wheel mounted switches.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 11/03/2011 1:57:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  2:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

I don't mind the power doors so much, just not a huge fan of the steering wheel mounted switches.

You can say that again! Clock springs are exspensive!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  3:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clock Spring? ^

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  05:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

You can say that again! Clock springs are exspensive!

I have never had to replace a clock spring, I just don't care so much for the door and flasher switches being a moving target.
I also don't like the steering wheel switches when its an air door as we never know what position the doors are going to fly to when you turn the key and energize the system.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 11/04/2011 05:25:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  10:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bluebirdvision

Clock Spring? ^

It's a set up to transmit the comunications from the steering switches to the rest of the bus. It is really not a clock spring but if you take the devise apart it looks like one. Basically it replaces the old brush type system when there was only a horn on the steering wheel. Put "GM clock spring" in Google Images and you'll get a good picture of what they look like.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

ICFrank

United States
27 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  11:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICFrank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a builders computor code when you spec your bus to have the door switch put on the dash. Ours are located between the ignition switch and parking brake. It is a rotary 2-way switch that is lighted and marked entrance door, open & closed. I believe IC also offers a 3-way switch. However, it has not been approved for use in our state yet.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  11:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Ohio needs to get with it and let us have those 3-way switches. From time to time a driver realizes that can use the override to accomplish the same thing though
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  7:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing a "clock spring" being replaced in a GM 1500 at work, the air bag light was on and apparently there is a "clock spring" in the bumper.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  9:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bluebirdvision

I remember seeing a "clock spring" being replaced in a GM 1500 at work, the air bag light was on and apparently there is a "clock spring" in the bumper.

Really? I wouldn't think you would need one there. I can't say I know a lot about where they are used but I would think they would only be of use in the steering wheel.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000