Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2011 IC CE Problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ICboy95

7 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  3:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ICboy95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi. My bus driver, and good friend, has been having problems with her new bus and i joined the forum, hoping to possibly fix it. Let me start by saying i love buses. I don't know why, but i have just always been fascinated by them. I'm currently a sophomore in high school.

Well enough about that. For the past 3 weeks or so, we will being driving and a yellow warning light will appear on the dash. We arent sure what it means, but i think it has something to do with emission control, as it looks like exhaust. Well, when it comes on, after about 5 to 10 seconds, the bus will just drop to an idol. This is all while we are driving might i add. At first, we would stop in the middle of the road and restart it, and it would go like it never happened. After about a week, it started doing this 5 to 6 times just in one 10 mile trip. The driver found a way around it by shifting to neutral as soon as the light comes on and coasting for about 15 seconds, then shifting back into gear, which i assume is not good for the transmission because it makes a horrible clanking noise when she presses the gas. She took it to the garage on friday and they replaced some kind of filter in the exhaust system and said that would fix it. Well today it continues to shut down the same, if even more, than ever.

Sorry about the long post. I just want to find the cause of this problem. Oh almost forgot, the bus is a 2011 IC CE maxxforce 7. Not sure of the engine type though.

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  4:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an instruction sheet right above your driver's head explaining what the icons mean and what to do. The bus needs to complete its regen process because the Diesel Particulate Filter(DPF) is full. If the regen process is not completed, loss of engine power will occur. After that, it only gets worse...
Go to Top of Page

ICboy95

7 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  4:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ICboy95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've looked at the sheet above the driver and the icon doesn't seem to be on it. There are SIMILAR icons, but the one that comes on is just slightly different.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  5:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'll bite. What's it look like? And, where on the dash is it?

Also, I would suggest the driver read the Operator's Manual starting at page 120 that also explains what to do. Here's a chunk of it that may apply:

In some cases the engine control system is unable to manage
soot levels in the DPF through Normal Regeneration. When this
occurs the DPF indicator will illuminate solid YELLOW on the
Instrument Panel Gauge Cluster advising that action must be
taken. At this time the vehicle should then be driven at highway
speeds, or pulled over to perform a Parked Regeneration (See
Parked Regeneration Procedure). If no action is taken the
DPF indicator will begin to flash indicating that the filter is full.
The vehicle should then be pulled safely off the roadway and
a Parked Regeneration should be performed. If the vehicle is
driven beyond the initial two warning stages, a loss of engine
performance (de-rate) will occur. Ignoring the need for a
Parked Regeneration when required can result in a warning for
excessive exhaust temperatures and a requirement to shut the
engine OFF and not restart it until the DPF has been serviced by
a technician. It is important to perform a Parked Regeneration
when required. Failure to do so could be mission disabling and
result in the vehicle being towed.
Go to Top of Page

ICboy95

7 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  6:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ICboy95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure what it looks like, as i don't have it in front of me, but i believe it is in the upper left corner area of the instrument cluster. That does sound like it might be what is wrong. What exactly does a "Parked Regeneration" consist of?
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  04:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like an emissions fault light. It needs to go to the dealer where they can determine the fault. We had a similar scenario which turned out to be a wire connection to the voltage feed to a module in the exhaust system that controls the regens. Get it looked at!
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  04:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an 09 IC CE doing the same thing. It is the light on the dash with smoke and an appostraphe it is called the MIL lamp it says that regen will not turn this light off.I have had this bus to the shop three times. I took it back yesterday they act as if they have not had this problem before. Hope someone out there can help.
Go to Top of Page

ICboy95

7 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  09:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICboy95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well i will tell her to try the regen today and see if that helps. I am home sick from school today so i can't really look and see exactly what light it is. It has been to the shop and another local shop that specializes in diesel vehicles. The diesel shop tested it with a laptop and it's not giving any codes. They simply said that since it wasn't giving a code, nothing was wrong. Some help they were.
Go to Top of Page

oldmech

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  1:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two 2010 maxx7's in my fleet and both of them would have the mil light come on and the engine drop to idle. Cycling the key on and off would reset the active code to inactive and let us go back down the road till it did it again. It was a sporatic problem at first but got worse as time went on.Both engines had bad high pressure oil pumps. A faulty accelerator pedal sensor will do the same thing too. If it is the mil light comming on there will be a code stored in the ecm. As new as your drivers bus is it should be under warranty and needs to go to a IC dealer for repair. Loosing throttle going down the highway as a very dangerous thing to happen.
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  3:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would suggest having the people in power at any garage with such extreme issues to report the problems to NHTSA.

My 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI diesel had issues with power loss at driving speeds, turned out the fuel system was faulty (like thousands of others), so it was replaced under warranty. Reported to NHTSA, which helps out others in the same situation down the road.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Go to Top of Page

IC_cruiser2804

48 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  6:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She needs to tell her mechanic. Sounds like an EGR cooler problem. Dealer will replace under warranty

Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  03:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richbusman why do you think it is the EGR cooler.Have you had this problem before with the MIL lamp is there a code that will come up for that.I want my dealer to fix this thing I'm tired of running to him 65 miles one way. I have relayed the information to them from this sight.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  03:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In order to have any meaningful discussion, we need to know what the code is out of the ECU (engine). Please post.
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  05:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the light with the exclimation mark is a fault light for the regen system. the system will not regen of any type with a code in it. you need to look at the codes. could be intake throttle valve, any of the exhaust temp sensors our the delta sensor.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  07:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Every bus we have here, all 8--2008 and 09's, IC, DT's have had the Delta sensor replaced at dealer under warranty within the first year because MIL was coming on or staying on alot. I don't know if it was a bad batch of sensors or what was causing it, but so far(knock on wood)these buses haven't had that MIL on since. It has been close to a year since the last one was changed.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  5:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some drivers set the parking brake at every stop. This halts the regen process.

Take it out on the interstate for an hour. That's what we do. Always cures it.

We have a policy to get the DPF buses on longer runs at least twice a month to get the DPFs burned out.

We have had no DPF problems.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 11/03/2011 6:05:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  03:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive seen the same thing . If the bus runs a trip at least once a week they dont have issues but if they go for more than that the regen lights start coming on and more service calls. I guess we will have to hire a dedicated staff to just run every route maxxforce an hour or 2 a week out on the highway just to keep the lights off the dash.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  11:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

Now THAT is good information! Ohio requires us to set the brake at all stops...perhaps this explains some of the trouble we've had.
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  12:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got this in my email yesterday about regen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLRRHsdl2CY&feature=youtu.be
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  2:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

We have a policy to get the DPF buses on longer runs at least twice a month to get the DPFs burned out.

It's the law in our state. That being The Peoples Republic of Illinois, Good day comrades!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  2:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

It's the law in our state. That being The Peoples Republic of Illinois, Good day comrades!

Thanks for this post. Only thing I can say is I am glad I only have two of these things. No regen, parked or otherwise on a propane bus.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  3:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have to set ours too...uggg. Have a good weekend.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  6:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When it was really cold last year we couldnt get the engines to heat up to do a regen because it was derated.
Whats an average time to go from stage one to stage 2 ?
Go to Top of Page

ICboy95

7 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  10:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICboy95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry i haven't posted. I've been busy all week and havent checked the forum yet. I just watched the video that Willism posted and it was very helpful! I passed it along to my bus driver and i'm waiting for a response from her. I didn't get a chance to talk to her at all about the regen, but hopefully she will try it after watching the video. It was also mentioned about engine codes. The engine has been taken to the mechanic several times and there were no codes.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  5:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a few GM one ton trucks with the Duramax engine and they need 30-35 minutes for a full regen. If we have a highway crew out on patching or basins they are idling a lot and going into park a lot which stops the regen process and the warning light comes on we have them drive the vehicle for 40 minutes at 35+mph without putting the truck in park and the problem goes away.

Thank the Federal Government....... let us help you......

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 11/05/2011 5:19:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

ICboy95

7 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  09:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICboy95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We finally found out what is wrong! (sort of). The mechanic finally said that it has an electrical problem in the regen system. He did like 3 manual regens yesterday at the garage and reset the computer, but it still says that a regen is needed and the engine cuts to an idle. He also replaced the filter to see it that was the problem, but the regen light is still on. We were told that we either had to "deal with it" until they find the problem, or drive a replacement. We chose "deal with it" over driving a 2000 bluebird t444e with no heat. haha.
Go to Top of Page

ICboy95

7 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  6:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ICboy95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I kinda forgot about this thread on here. Our bus was fixed over Christmas break. Turns out it was a bad fuel pump. I don't know how that make the regen light come on, but it's all fixed now!
Go to Top of Page

aeastman

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  7:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit aeastman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ICboy95

Hi. My bus driver, and good friend, has been having problems with her new bus and i joined the forum, hoping to possibly fix it. Let me start by saying i love buses. I don't know why, but i have just always been fascinated by them. I'm currently a sophomore in high school.

Well enough about that. For the past 3 weeks or so, we will being driving and a yellow warning light will appear on the dash. We arent sure what it means, but i think it has something to do with emission control, as it looks like exhaust. Well, when it comes on, after about 5 to 10 seconds, the bus will just drop to an idol. This is all while we are driving might i add. At first, we would stop in the middle of the road and restart it, and it would go like it never happened. After about a week, it started doing this 5 to 6 times just in one 10 mile trip. The driver found a way around it by shifting to neutral as soon as the light comes on and coasting for about 15 seconds, then shifting back into gear, which i assume is not good for the transmission because it makes a horrible clanking noise when she presses the gas. She took it to the garage on friday and they replaced some kind of filter in the exhaust system and said that would fix it. Well today it continues to shut down the same, if even more, than ever.

Sorry about the long post. I just want to find the cause of this problem. Oh almost forgot, the bus is a 2011 IC CE maxxforce 7. Not sure of the engine type though.

Exactly the same with me (age I mean). Small world, huh. And that MaxxForce 7 part is the engine. The 07-current CEs had the MaxxForce 7 or MaxxForce DT
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  7:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A part of the regen is called Active Regen. This means the engine cannot produce enough heat on it's own to burn the soot from the DPF. During active regen the injectors inject extra fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke. This extra fuel when it comes in contact with the DOC and DPF will burn and increase the heat in the DPF and cause the soot to burn off. If your fuel pump is not supplying enough fuel, this won,t happen and the ECM will turn on the malfunction indicator lamp. The temp sensors in the after treatment system send a signal to the ECM telling it that required temps are not being achieved. There are three. One before the DOC, one after the DOC and one after the DPF.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000