Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Pre trip time limits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

T37

1 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  07:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit T37's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what the regulated time limit for a pre trip [/b]both AM and PM are in the State of Connecticut???? Also what is the post trip time limit too! The Company I work for is trying to cut our pretrip time from 15 min to 7 min even thro new things have been added to the pre trip! They also are trying to cut the PM pre trip out altogther! The[b] post trip they want to cut back to 3 min! Thats not even enough time to get out of your seat and check for sleeping CHILDREN and hang our sign in the window, hit your child checkmate!
HELP!!!!

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  5:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Legally, you're only required to pre-trip a vehicle once a day. Most companies require an additional pre-trip for mid-day or afternoon runs, but it is only legally required if you drive a different vehicle that you haven't pre-tripped that day. Post-trips are mostly at the discretion of the company, the law is vague on what is required for a post-trip.

For testing purposes when applying for or renewing a CDL, you're allowed 15 minutes for a hydraulic brake bus or 25 minutes for air brake. I don't think that the law specifically requires companies to give you this much time, but common sense says if you do it by the book, you should be allowed the same amount of time that DMV allows.

Just curious, what's their justification for cutting down to 7 minutes? Are they basing this on an average time that drivers have taken in the past? I would fight this if I were you. You could try getting in touch with someone at DMV (the School Bus Unit is part of the Commercial Vehicle Safety Division), or you may have better luck getting some answers and specific contact info from COSTA. http://www.ctschoolbus.org
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000