Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 help needed with diagnostic software/cables
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billritter

28 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  5:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit billritter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My fleet is mostly navistar, four 3 box system t444e's, five engine mount ecm t444e's, six engine mounted ecm 466's. There have been so many times that I wished I had a data link system, and I have finally received approval to equip my shop with one. Question is, the variations of the "data link" systems and types available are kind of overwhelming. Based on my fleet, what would you recommend buying to give me the best diagnostic capabilities for my buck? I would like for it to have all of the real-time data capabilities, and system test capabilities. And then what can you tell me about what cables I need?

I also have two Mercedes diesels, and one cat, but for the sake of this discussion we will leave those out.

Once again, thanks a bunch!

You all are a wonderful group of people.

efkimes

31 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  8:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Send efkimes a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your International dealer can set you up with the Maxxfoce diagnostic software on your laptop or computer. Then have them set you up with a log in to bus ISIS. Between the two you can do most stuff and have troubleshooting steps for IH stuff. We use a handheld made by OTC but sold through Eaton, Cornwell or other dealers, that one works well for all of our cummins and for our IH when road testing. I can get specific details for you if you like on the handheld. But for Navistar Maxxforce and ISIS is the best way to go. The only problem is our 3 box 444E engines. They are to old for Maxxforce. Hope that helps. You can email me if you need details @ kimes_eddie.stvrain.k12.co.us
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  06:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The easiest single cable to use with everybody's software
NexIQ USB
http://www.nexiq.com/node/3

This will work with
Detroit Diesel DDEC/DDDL
Allison DOC
FL - Data-Link Monitor
TBB - ServiceLink
IC - ServiceMaxx Fleet
IC - DLB Fleet
IC - ISIS
Cummins Insite
Cummins Power Spec
WabCo Toolbox
Bendix A-Comm
Caterpillar

Make sure that you are working on a Windows "Pro" version in 32 Bit formatt or some of the programs will not like it.
Also make sure Windows "ISS" program installed on your computer & your Active-X settings are wide open.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.

Edited by - JustinB on 09/29/2010 06:11:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

billritter

28 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  06:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit billritter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These are exactly the kind of suggestions I need guys, thanks so much. Justin, what software are you using?
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  09:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus dealer I work for has both Thomas Built Bus & Eldorado National franchises. The bulk of the Eldorado people movers come in on International chassis.

Software I have successfully installed & used with the NexIQ USB cable are:
Detroit Diesel DDEC/DDDL
Allison DOC
FL - Data-Link Monitor
TBB - ServiceLink
IC - ServiceMaxx Fleet
IC - DLB Fleet
Cummins Insite
Cummins Power Spec
WabCo Toolbox
Bendix A-Comm
Caterpillar

The ISIS is hear-say from a mutual customer fleet.

Edited by - JustinB on 09/29/2010 09:36:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

billritter

28 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  10:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit billritter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you think that something like this would cover my needs? Would I need to add the NexIQ USB cable to this or is it included? Sorry for the dumb questions, but if it is not OBD 2 im lost. I do like that this has capabilities to do ABS and allison stuff too. I suppose that I would have to buy the appropriate software after the "free" trial is up. How far back does the Service Maxx service? And further back than that would I need the DLB Fleet? Anyhow, here is the link to what I have found:

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/MPI-188001.html
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  1:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't played with the hand-held LCD NexIQ scan tool. Hmmm. OBD-II compatible w/PC connectivity? I may need to check a bit further. I see a future possible need to check into PC based OBD-II & OBD-III to work with the USB cable.

The cheapest way to purchase the NexIQ USB cable is in combo with the ServiceMaxx software (NexIQ/IC Part# 828005) DLB Fleet is strictly chassis/body software & does not touch the engine in a significant manner.

Years of coverage would best be answered by Fastback. He is the resident expert on IC, A-EGR/SCR feud aside. My experience with ServiceMaxx Fleet has been limited to non-HUEI engines.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000