Electrical problem-(oops) resolved
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  08:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I admit it, it was my own fault! I went to charge the batteries on my bus. When I connected the charger, the breaker kept clicking on and off. I started disconneting cables to isolate the problem and discovered one of the batteries was causing it. I went to get another battery and came back. Here's when I discovered my mistake. The cables that come into the battery box are not labeled or colour coded. How do I determine which cable is positive and which is negative? I don't want to short out or cause other damage by reverse polarity.

And, I need to get this bus running today or tomorrow because I need to move it, and use it to move 349, which doesn't start.

Edited by - kd4jfd on 10/29/2009 05:14:49 AM

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  2:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trace where they go. Negative will ultimately connect to the frame rail. The positive will go to the starter's terminal post. There may also be additional positive wires connected directly to certain accessories such as a lift or other high-draw item.
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  05:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I figured it out. There are 3 leads each. 2 leads for positive that go to the main body/chassis, and one for the lift. and the same for the negative side. Replaced the battery, charged them for a few minutes, and it cranked right up. Now, all I have to do is figure out where and how to install a cut-off switch, so that the batteries won't keep dying.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  11:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kd4jfd

I figured it out. There are 3 leads each. 2 leads for positive that go to the main body/chassis, and one for the lift. and the same for the negative side. Replaced the battery, charged them for a few minutes, and it cranked right up. Now, all I have to do is figure out where and how to install a cut-off switch, so that the batteries won't keep dying.

Inside the battery box is pobably the best place. Less corosion from outside elements and out of sight of any curious people. I know Thomas offeres an L-shaped mount for them that you screw inside there, but one could easily be made.
Wiring:
I've seen it done on both sides, but I suggest putting it on the negative side. You'll need to attach the leads to the bus to one terminal of the switch, and using a new, short peice, connect the other terminal to the battery negative post.

WELL worth the time and money to install these!

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 10/29/2009 11:40:21 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000