CDL testing bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mbillman

United States
30 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  10:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been asked by our local CDL testing station to install a hand valve on their bus for the testing agent to be able to stop the bus in the case of an emergency. I was looking for any input on the best way to incorperate this into the bus brake system. The bus has an air brake system. Any advice or information would be great.

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  11:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check if any change to the braking system needs to be approved by the manufacturer and the state police.

PHW

Child Check For Life
Chock Wheels For Life
Proud American For Life
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  12:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I would not do it. Have them take it to the chassis dealer. Not to be stupid or anything but why would they want a valve like that in the first place? Sounds scary to me!! If a driver is not qualified enough to drive without haveing to be stopped by the testing person that person should not be behind the wheel at all! Much less in a bus.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mbillman

United States
30 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  02:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had some of the same thoughts my self bwest. The set up has been pre approved by the ohio state patrol. It will need to be reinspected before it is put into service.
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  04:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Drivers ED cars have a brake peddel on the passenger side.
It cost about 2 hundred bucks to have it installed at a dealer.
Our higher ups had the great Idea of us installing them in our shop to save the money. I refused to have my mechanics install them. So they reluctantly went back to the dealer for installation. The next week one of the cars was involved in an accident. The teachers brake got hung a would not let ether the drivers side or passenger brake work. I was out of the loop on that accident and was I glad.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  05:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had the "higher ups" wanting me to put in the brake control on our driver education car as well. No dice, I said! That has been several years ago and I have not been asked again.

I still say even if the State Police says it is ok you are sill liable for your install. If this thing is in an accident, no matter who is at fault, the athorities will be asking you questions.

Another thought I had was about insurance. I wonder if your insurance knew about this, would they approve?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000