Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2006 BLUE BIRD A3RE DASH GAUGES OPAQUE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mechanicman

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit mechanicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, we have 5 2006 blue birds with the "actia" dash gauges, which have now become basically unreadable due to the fact that the clear face has become opaque from the sun. Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Thanks for any input.

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are a couple of options; the most severe is replacing the entire instrument, however, before doing that I would try some products produced to refinish acrylic and plastic surfaces which may bring back the transparency of the lense. There is one imparticular which is quite successful and if you have several instruments with the same problem this is the way to go. Go to http://www.3m.com/product/information/Headlight-Lens-Repair.html. I have seen this work first hand.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

mechanicman

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit mechanicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Brad, thank you for your response. Yes, we did try a few of the products available for this purpose with no detectable results. We have concluded that the apparent damage is on the "inside" of the gauge lense cover.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  12:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic may interest you...did anybody try this repair yet?

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19071
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  2:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had them apart but unable to locate any lenses. I need a buddy with a CNC machine.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  5:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would plexi be too thick? assuming the bezel is wide enough to cover the less-than-pefectly-round edges, a guy could get bored enough to make them using a small handheld cutter! Or maybe next 3800 that gets junked, hold on to the cluster's cover if it's not too scuffed up...that stuff was pretty thin.
Go to Top of Page

TransportationSouthParts

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  05:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cannot imagine that Blue Bird would not warrant or policy this issue. Have you contacted them?
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  06:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluebird did replace a few for me. Actia covered them for 24 months I think. I can check with our warranty guy and find out. The lens isn't that thin. I believe a guy could make one out of some lexan or plastic. It is thinner on the outer edge to fit in the housing. If your bus sits in the sun they will turn on you. One of our route drivers has a fender cover he throws over the instrument panel and steering wheel so he don't get burnt. His were replaced under warranty, and the new ones haven't discolored yet. The smaller gauges do this as well. I will research this some more, and see if I can't find a lens solution for us. I have a couple out of warranty that I need to fix.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

mechanicman

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  2:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit mechanicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All: Thank you for your responses.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  04:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue Bird would probley just say..."Its a servicable/maintainable part and that should not have happend!" I have the same darn problem.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

mechanicman

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  11:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit mechanicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is an update regarding these BB dash gauges. We removed one of the gauges and I intended to send it to our local speedo shop (they thought they could make some "glass" replacements for us. Prior to boxing this gauge up, I decided to see if I could disassemble it. What I found upon disassembly was quite a surprise. There were two lenses, one stacked on top of the other with the outside lense being the one that had become opaque. I simply reassembled the gauge using only the one clear lense. Go figure. However, now we are asking... "why in the world would two lenses be used"
Anyway, just thought I would give you guys a heads up on this.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  12:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are they difficult to disassembe and reassemble?

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  12:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing! I had these apart several times and never removed the 0-ring to discover there are 2 lenses. I would just take off the faded one and re-assemble. I'm gonna give it a go and see what happens. Brad, just twist off the black bezel to line up the slots and it pops apart.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  08:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm now fighting with this problem and found something I want to share...

http://brysonsaleswa.com/images/SU1116.pdf

I am thinking of buying two or three just to have, but I just cracked open a dead speedo (figured I can't make it any worse, it's already dead) and tried the one lens removal trick...looks like an easy solution!

This forum is amazing!

Sidebar: Anybody had any luck digging the speaker out of the master gauge? Buying a $300 unit ticks me off when the low air alarm dies.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 03/18/2012 09:24:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  5:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if you could use a head light kit to restore the OEM lenses.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  02:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried it, made no difference on one, made another one worse!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  06:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I'm now fighting with this problem and found something I want to share...

http://brysonsaleswa.com/images/SU1116.pdf

I am thinking of buying two or three just to have, but I just cracked open a dead speedo (figured I can't make it any worse, it's already dead) and tried the one lens removal trick...looks like an easy solution!

This forum is amazing!

Sidebar: Anybody had any luck digging the speaker out of the master gauge? Buying a $300 unit ticks me off when the low air alarm dies.

Yes wire in a internal PC speaker they work great. Great link on the PDF file BTW.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  08:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you cut out the backside of the speedo or pop it apart from the front? Any certain type/brand of speaker that you have used?
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  1:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Do you cut out the backside of the speedo or pop it apart from the front? Any certain type/brand of speaker that you have used?

Yes you open it up. Very carefully cut the two leads loose from the speaker at the black plastic cover. Solder on two wires and run them out the speaker slots in the back. Then just glue, tape, velcro a speaker out of an older PC or a laptop. I have done two so far on these. The Stoneridge 2008 vision dash can be done the same way. I guess a guy could mount it inside the gauge if you get a small one.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000