New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  7:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mythbusters in on right now on the East Coast.

Looks like the boys (and that pretty redhead) are going to see if the jet blast from a 747 can blow over a school bus.

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  7:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm....maybe I got that wrong...they're messing with a taxicab.

But darnit there's an old Chevy/Wayne (I think) in the background!
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  7:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, did you see that cab blow away like a leaf?

I say the bus is going to blow away too!

Notice that the 747 is provided by Kalitta Air....owned by Connie Kalitta, who is (or was?) a great top-fuel dragster driver.

Edited by - IC on 11/14/2007 7:35:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  8:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that bus didn't hold up too well, did it?

But, that was cool! LOL
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  9:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It was cool, lol, especially the highspeed. The bus was old and rare, so it is a shame, but it was definately unsafe...lol

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  9:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm confirming that bus was a 1970s Chevrolet Wayne with a 4way warning light system.
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I cringed when I watched that episode.

Ever seen the old WWII test footage of the hydrogen bomb test at Alamogordo, NM? There's an old school bus that was placed roughly two miles from ground zero that had its paint "fried off" due to the radiant heat of the explosion, and when the shock wave hit, it got knocked over, and the side of it caved in.

I have the whole video and it's pretty amazing.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

ltrain2001

139 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  05:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tuned into that episode as well, and I saw the bus go airborne and then roll into a rather compact mess. That bus was most likely pre 77 safety standards though. I would like to see them try that again with a post 77 bus, as the increased structural integrity may help the bus to not compact the roof as much.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  11:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wonder if they knew about the change in standards around that time, since it can have such an impact on the test results.
Go to Top of Page

Bus9709
Top Member

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  1:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus9709's Homepage  Click to see Bus9709's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, something the mythbusters did that I don't really like..XD The Taxi...fine. School bus...no.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  3:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was quite the experiance to watch... I hate to see any bus go through that.

A youtube video taken by a guy from his point of view, he takes a second to talk about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF1Ki9w9Otg

Edited by - Kodie on 11/15/2007 3:47:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  5:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vabuslover

I wonder if they knew about the change in standards around that time, since it can have such an impact on the test results.

They weren't testing how the bus would hold up....just IF a jet blast could blow a bus over. Confirmed!

But yeah, that bus was definitely pre-'77, and that roof didn't seem to have much integrity....looked to me like the window frames made up most of the structure. Post '77 buses have much tougher roof bows, etc...right?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000