Enter Forum: General Interest
 Steps
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busdriver44

United States
59 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  9:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Send busdriver44 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
here in ohio I can get my cdl at 18 which I already am anyway I read my CDL manual what do I do next ?

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  9:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busdriver44

here in ohio I can get my cdl at 18 which I already am anyway I read my CDL manual what do I do next ?

How many damned threads are you going to make about CDLs? This is third one in a single day, keep it all in one damned topic and REPLY to what people say to you instead of never saying anything.

You need to start replying to your threads, or else you might as well GTFO.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  05:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, after agreeing with Rich...I was an On-Bus-Instructor certified by the state of Ohio in January 2005. Note that I did not renew that after losing my job, so I'm out of the loop, and some minor things may have changed that I am unaware of.

You need to study that book. The General, Air Brake, Passenger and School Bus sections. If you want any other endorsements, study those sections too. Next contact the DMV or other testing facility, you'll need to schedule an appointment to purchase your CDL permit packet, then go take four written tests (more if you want more--see above).

Upon passing your writtens you can go out with a CDL holder, but you need to find someone qualified, not just some guy who got grandfathered in can't drive for crap.

When you are prepared, you will schedule your driving test...it must be an appropriate vehicle (you can't get a passenger/school bus CDL by using a dump truck) First is pretrip, if you fail it, you are done. Next is off road skills (explained in your CDL manual). Next is on-road skills. Upon passing these three tests your pemit will be validated again, HOWEVER YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO DRIVE A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE (I know it's stupid, but I don't make the rules). You must first get your actual CDL from the DMV, you'll just take em your permit all stamped up, hand over your red-topped card and get ya pretty new blue one with an A1 restriction (intrastate driving only until age 21 federal regulations).

Congratulations, you are a CDL driver, but if you plan to do anything school bus driving related you really needed to seek a district or contractor who will train you properly. There are pre-service class and driver training hour requirements that must be met.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 11/10/2007 05:09:17 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000