Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  03:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news on the injector front. History: Every one of my VT365's have had to have injectors replaced except the 06's with the fewest miles. The symptoms are Hard Start Cold or No Start Cold...sluggish performance cold.....Multiple Cylinder miss cold.....Runs and starts better warm.....Excessive white/black smoke on acceleration.....Miss at high RPM.......Stumbles and misses on acceleration.....and I just read you those from the IKNOW Diagnostics page! But the good news is that IH has just released a set of 8 service injectors which are called "split shot" injectors. They have a new design which is said to eliminate "stiction." If you have the above symptoms, your dealer can run the bus through a set(nine pages worth of) of tests and get approval for a set of new redesigned injectors. As of yesterday, I have had three sets installed and they are working great. We'll have to wait 60,000 miles to see if they are any better but I have heard projections of 4 times the service life. This is a big relief to me as the injectors situation was my biggest worry with this engine for the long haul. I'm sure that availability of these injectors will be short for a while but hopefully IH is moving toward a solution on the injectors side of things. For those of you trying to limp through the cold months, remember that dropping to 10W-30 or even especially 5w-40 synth for the cold months will help you get another few months out of them before they wind up missing anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  03:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, I think they are called Split Cap Injectors instead of Split Shot Injectors. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  2:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody tried checking for the tank baffles having broken loose via the floor access panel? If you pulled the sending unit out of the tank is there enough room to see what's going on in there?
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  03:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried it! No can do. The only thing I could think of would be some kind of scope and I don't have access to one. They're hard enough to see when you get the tank on a jack, drained and are holding a light at the fill pipe.
Go to Top of Page

BJ

3 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  4:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit BJ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just reading more about the injectors in the 2005 vt365 would they have started putting in the split cap injectors at manufactor, I think probably not but I don't know. How much do they cost. Has many people had much trouble with the newer 466 I had the camshaft go out on mine at around 100thousand km. Stuff a dealer never wants to tell you. Has the injectors been a problem in these too. The turbos have had a lot of problems.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  03:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IH went to the split caps, but after 50,000 miles, they still begin to develop stiction problems. I think IH is only selling those now. This is an old post (2007). There have been many discussions on here since this thread. They are still boat anchors in the long haul.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  05:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just like many problem prone equipment in the past there are some 365 out there that are doing well. I had two of these things and they both gave me lots of trouble. I convienced our board to trade one of them and I was planning to trade the second as well but the second one all of a sudden decided it was going to behave itself. I haven't had any trouble in the past year or so. lol Go figure.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  08:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

...I was planning to trade the second as well but the second one all of a sudden decided it was going to behave itself. I haven't had any trouble in the past year or so. lol Go figure.

Yeah, now you've done it. Just wait til around 4:00 this afternoon!
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  4:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Has anybody tried checking for the tank baffles having broken loose via the floor access panel? If you pulled the sending unit out of the tank is there enough room to see what's going on in there?

We had one with an occasional slowdown and die on the road. If you wait a minute it would start right back up and run fine till next episode. I checked fuel pressure and it would build up very slow . Ran a suction test on the fuel line from tank . It had very high restriction. I pulled the fuel sending unit out from floor access panel and could easily see the baffle laying on the bottom. I could move it around with a magnetic pickup tool. The simple fix was just to cut some small serations in the pickup hose so it cannot be plugged with the plate . I also flipped the baffle over so the curved edges turned up and made it sit lower in the bottom of the tank. If it causes trouble in the future we will order a new tank but Im confident the issue is resolved.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  04:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have fixed a few by taking the pick up tube out and cutting a slot in both sides of the bottom of the pick up tube. It has worked great for us.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000