Kenworth Pacific SKY BUS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  5:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
um, any of you Pacific lovers see this?

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  11:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually researching the history of that. There were a handful built, but they were not built like that from the factory. Believe it or not, they were actually built by kitbashing two Pacific School Coach buses.

Once I get the history of them, you'll see more of it on my website.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  01:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a little bit more about them. It's from an e-mail I got about them this past July from longtime contributor Tom Shafer, who sent me details about them. (In fact, I have a postcard of one of these units in service).

+++++++++++++++++

This is from a late '70's follow-up on an article on Mt. Hood Stages in Motor Coach Age, the magazine of the Motor Bus Society:

Zenon Hansen writes: "I grew up in Portland and recall seeing the Mount Hood Stages Kenworth-Wentwins such as the one on the cover in their original livery. For the record, this was brown and a rather light cream. The Portland Fire Department had a similar disaster and rescue unit that was a familiar sight at public functions and was traditionally at the tail end of the annual Rose Festival parade into the 1950's.

The Skiway is a one of a kind passenger tramway built by the Pointer-Willamette Co. of Portland. It is unique in that the cables are stationary and the cars are self-propelled by to pancake engines of unspecified make (Fageol, maybe?) totaling 370 hp. It is based on a system built in Arabia for handling oil pipeline equipment. The two cars seat 36, and the builder's plate gives the model as 36F-SHI, the car I rode in 1951 being serial 501. An excellent description of the system appears in the August 1951 issue of Popular Science, written by the late Richard L. Neuberger, later U.S. Senator from Oregon."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another article I saw online a while ago pointed to them being built by kitbashing two Kenworth-Pacific units, mounting the front halves directly opposite each other and scrapping the rear. I'm trying to find that article at the moment.

Edited by - Steven A.Rosenow on 11/07/2007 01:37:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  2:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the First Student guy

I have seen a rusted one of those on top of an old ski hill. I was too young to really observe it, it was much smaller than the picture.

Did you see it at Mt. Hood? If you didn't, then you didn't see one of these. These were built exclusively as part of a government contract at Mt. Hood in Oregon, and were never installed anywhere else.

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  4:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, I saw one not on a mountain but a really big hill in the town next over from mine.

How many years ago was this?
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  5:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

1998ish.

Do you have any pictures of it? I doubt one of those would end up in the Northeast from Oregon.
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  8:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, I saw one not on a mountain but a really big hill in the town next over from mine.

Well if it wasn't at Mt. Hood then you didn't see one!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  9:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go to Top of Page

Mitchell
Top Member

Canada
741 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  12:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Mitchell a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

quote:

LMAO!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000