New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  8:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still driving buses but not school buses. I started last week with Coach Canada (part of Coach USA / Stagecoach Group) and am assigned on their airport shuttle routes here in Montreal.

I get to drive brand new NovaBus LFS transit buses with air-conditioning and comfy air-ride drivers seats! So far the job has been great, very easy going work conditions except for the occasional tight turn seeing how the old contractor ran buses that were 30'x 96" or shorter and the new operator has 40' x 102" units on the same routes. The parking lots were a challenge for the first 2 days.

Perhaps I'll get the chance to take on some work in the motorcoach and doubledecker fleets once I get a few months in at the airport.

JC

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  8:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go, JC!
Go to Top of Page

AMTK207

United States
110 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  06:00:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit AMTK207's Homepage  Send AMTK207 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, keep us updated!

First Student 224933: 2003 Thomas Minotour, T444E/7.3l Powerstroke Diesel engine, white roof/tinted windows, front/rear AC
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  06:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds good! Keep us updated, too.

-Jake

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  10:29:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congradulations! It sounds like it should be nicer than school bus driving (better pay, no screaming kids, nicer buses, etc) Keep us updated.

Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  5:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments! I'm loving the job so far and its so nice driving NEW buses seeing how the last new bus I was assigned to was in 1994. Every fleet I've work on or any assigned buses since then has been at least 10 years old.

Here are a couple of links to videos showing the type of bus I'm driving:

Video of the NovaBus LFS being built: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZoNJZERJk

Video of a recent Fredericton (NB) Transit LFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g-zQWmaeAA&mode=related&search=
Listen to the signal light "chime", same as the ones I'm driving, very subtle.

This one gives a great audio sensation of what passengers and the driver hear on these new units. The ever-expanding STM (Montreal Transit Corp.) low-floor fleet is 100% NovaBus. Our buses are the same specs with a few changes such as luggage racks and upgraded flooring. I love the whine the transmission makes going from 2nd to 3rd :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_C_alJ2vQ&mode=related&search=

JC

Edited by - JC Theriault on 08/08/2007 5:28:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  5:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Interesting, I like those buses. Now why dont they make videos like that for school buses? Thanks for sharing
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  01:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm done driving with this employer as of December 10th and headed back to Atlantic Canada. Not sure what my exact plans are but I am looking into re-entering the bus business, possibly running a Girardin coach-seated minibus for sightseeing or group charters in Moncton NB. Just taking my time on the business idea and will enjoy the Christmas festivities before tackling it.

JC
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  06:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why the departure? Do you take jobs and keep them until you get bored, then moving on to something different?

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  08:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it was seasonal? Good luck with your new business start-up. It's always fun to hear from operators, so I look forward to hearing about your endeavor.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  12:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm leaving because of a few reasons, the first is that I've realised I'm not a big city person - much happier in the smaller city or rural setting where I grew up. 45 minute rush hours back home are nice compared to the 3 hour ordeal here. The second is that the workplace has a few issues when it comes to employee behaviour and management not dealing with the disrespect shown toward us drivers by the airport staff when assigned to their parking lot routes. Trust me when I say middle school kids are much better behaved. I don't get paid enough to deal with infighting and having flight attendants chew me out for the most stupid reasons.

The job was great otherwise as having brand new buses to drive meant less headaches when it came to breakdowns etc. And the general manager was awesome when it came to other issues not directly tied to the airport contract.

JC
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000