Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  5:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just paint lol

What is this "Hydraulic Brakes" nonsense you speak of?
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  12:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You created that on paint? Wow, thats good. I have long wondered why more chassis arent offered for schoolbuses, when so many would work.

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jjf221fe

Just paint lol

I make stuff like that in paint all the time; I love it! Paint is great if you have the patience to use it!

-Jake
Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  1:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Although a Kenworth and/or Peterbilt bus would look great, I highly doubt they would ever get into the school bus market, mainly becasue they both have a rep of being "premium" trucks and wouldn't "belittle" themselves by making a school bus chassis. Then again, I could be wrong, like who'd a thought International would stop selling chassis to Blue Bird, and who'd a though GM would stop making big bus chassis.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  1:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
03CV200, I was actually discussing this very thing with another member on here through AIM... I do believe Kenworth was in the school bus market once before with their Pacific School Coach (am I wrong or correct about this?) and I was curious as to how long it survived in the market and how much of a success it was at the time of it being in the school bus market; Might any of you know? Though the chances of Kenworth or Peterbilt or any other premium CMV makes out there are very, very slim, it's always nice to dream!

Go to Top of Page

SBF3850LR

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  2:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you ever seen a crown bus? 85 pass and 91 pass...I might be a bit old:)

Dwight D. Moore
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I also doubt that another chassis manufacturer for school buses will be available. My dad works for a company that builds drill rigs on Peterbilt chassis, and it is like 95,000 just for the chassis. I like to dream though. If i only knew how to use photoshop... As for your question SBF3850LR, yes, i have. My school has a cuouple, but what does that have to do with thistopic?

Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  6:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have completed the frontal interior of the type D bus I posted a while back:

Also, when I was bored and wasn't sure what to create next on paint, I created a little "gag" cartoon of the bus I rode last year. The bus (in real-life) is a 2004 Thomas FS-65.

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  7:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have completed the frontal interior of the type D bus I posted a while back:

Also, when I was bored and wasn't sure what to create next on paint, I created a little "gag" cartoon of the bus I rode last year. The bus (in real-life) is a 2004 Thomas FS-65.

HOLY S@*# thats sooo cool, I have tried to do that so many times and its really hard to do. The only problem I see is the kids tripping on the motor compartment.
Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  7:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I foresaw that too. I was going to either move the right row of seats further back, move the doghouse more towards the driver's compartment, or shorten the length of the engine mount. I decided not to do anything to it, it seems sufficient enough for now anyways. The doghouse was the easy part. Believe it or not, the stairwell was a real pain in the arse... The driver compartment was easier!

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  9:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heres my latest, its based off of the Blue Bird Vision, but its like what IC offers as its BE. Tell me what you think, nothing great.

Go to Top of Page

ThomasC2
Top Member

United States
650 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  12:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's better than what i can draw. But I think it would be a good BE type bus for Blue Bird.

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  02:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

03CV200, I was actually discussing this very thing with another member on here through AIM... I do believe Kenworth was in the school bus market once before with their Pacific School Coach (am I wrong or correct about this?) and I was curious as to how long it survived in the market and how much of a success it was at the time of it being in the school bus market; Might any of you know? Though the chances of Kenworth or Peterbilt or any other premium CMV makes out there are very, very slim, it's always nice to dream!

Yes, you are correct about Kenworth being involved in the school bus industry. In fact, they were involved in the industry for close to 25 years, and were a very strong seller along the west coast, especially in the Pacific Northwest.

Notwithstanding the fact that Kenworth's primary business is - and always has been - the manufacturing and sales of large heavy duty trucks, the Pacific School Coach was a very strong seller, and several districts in the Seattle/Puget Sound area of Washington State were at one time exclusive to them (primarily due to the fact that the Pacific School Coach was built at their East Marginal Way facility just outside downtown Seattle at the time). In fact, the Shelton School District, according to a photo in a 1954 yearbook, ran an all-PSC fleet (which was a mix of White and Ford conventional chassis with KW PSC bodies, and the T-126/216 transit style).

Their market share started to decline in the mid 1940s due to Gillig and Crown becoming strong players in Washington State, and by 1955, Kenworth (and their parent company, the Pacific Car and Foundry Company - known now as PACCAR) arranged a deal for Gillig to take over the manufacturing of them by 1955. Two years later, Gillig had exclusivity due to a deal made by Kenworth, Pacific Car and Foundry, and Gillig, which involved the sale of all tooling and rights to the Pacific School Coach to Gillig. (It's interesting to note that almost immediately, Gillig incorporated some aspects of the KW PSC design into their own Transit Coach line, such as the radiator intake scoop at the left rear corner of the roof, and the front roofcap)

I myself own a Pacific School Coach. It's a 73-passenger 1955 T-216 transit style model that served the Wahkiakum School District for almost 50 years, and is considered to be the last running and intact one left.

Here's two departing photos, one of which is a photo of a Kenworth school bus sourced from a 1946 Rand McNally USA road atlas (which was sponsored by Kenworth Truck Company, and features other Kenworth bus photos as well), and the other is a photo of my bus.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  10:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Steven! These photos and your information is fantastic! Seeing as how you own the T-216 model and it's a rear-engine design, I would imagine the T-126 is the front-engine design. It's hard to comprehend that your bus is a 1955 model, it looks like it's in better shape than most of our 1998 Thomas Saf-T-Liner EFs! I'm sure you've done extensive work on this bus to make it look this nice, but there's no denying the fact that just about anything with the Kenworth name (or Peterbilt, seeing as how they are both under the parent company PACCAR) will be built like a tank.

What engines were options in the transit line? Was CAT an option for both of them? Cummins? Or did PACCAR offer their own engine in the buses, as I know that Kenworth's medium duty trucks of today (such as the T-300, which I based my little model bus after) offer the PACCAR engine. Were engine options exclusive to the T-126 or the T-216? I wouldn't imagine so, seeing that monstrous grille on the T-126 which is usually the issue with front-engine designs of today: Engine space and access.

Thanks once more!
-Jared F.

Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  12:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Here is an udated version of my 2008 Wayne RD9000 design. It has:
Front/Rear/Side views
A/C vents
Side engine vents that channil the air throught the engine and out the back
Dual stop arm (not very detailed, too lazy to fix it)
updated headlights/windshield for those of you who saw the first version of the front
Backlit School Bus sign
Flashing/Strobing "STOP WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH" sign on rear. When the driver activates the reds the orange box strobes and "STOP" and "WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH"

All of your designs are very good. I could never draw anything that good on paint as jjf221fe's cartoon FS65 bus. I like that BB Vision/BE, it would be a nice alternative to all those type As.
Edit: fixed the stop arms that i didnt have enough patience to do before

Edited by - Lifestar Fe on 11/12/2007 12:10:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  12:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lookin good! I like the design. Just remember; Paint needs patience.

-Jake

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  01:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you, Steven! These photos and your information is fantastic! Seeing as how you own the T-216 model and it's a rear-engine design, I would imagine the T-126 is the front-engine design. It's hard to comprehend that your bus is a 1955 model, it looks like it's in better shape than most of our 1998 Thomas Saf-T-Liner EFs! I'm sure you've done extensive work on this bus to make it look this nice, but there's no denying the fact that just about anything with the Kenworth name (or Peterbilt, seeing as how they are both under the parent company PACCAR) will be built like a tank.

What engines were options in the transit line? Was CAT an option for both of them? Cummins? Or did PACCAR offer their own engine in the buses, as I know that Kenworth's medium duty trucks of today (such as the T-300, which I based my little model bus after) offer the PACCAR engine. Were engine options exclusive to the T-126 or the T-216? I wouldn't imagine so, seeing that monstrous grille on the T-126 which is usually the issue with front-engine designs of today: Engine space and access.

Thanks once more!
-Jared F.

No, there were absolutely NO diesel engine options available in the Pacific School Coach, and after 1946, there were no front-engine transit style units built (they'd switched to the unique 4-pane windshield design seen in my bus that year, which didn't accomodate a front-engine design). The above photo of the front-engine model is actually of a much older bus dating back to the very late 30s and possibly early 40s (before production began on the T126/216), but used in a Kenworth-sponsored Rand McNally road atlas from 1946. The T126 was a rear engine model like mine (and for all intents and purposes, identical), and I've got some sneaky suspicious thought that someone at Kenworth might've typo'ed the model number in the builder's plate... The reason? Right up until the time I bought mine, I'd never even heard of a T216!

But alas, no, both were rear engine models and back then, Kenworth wasn't putting any diesels in their buses. (although they were the first to switch from gas to diesel in 1933 for their semi trucks! ]).

The standard engine option available for the Pacific School Coach (T126 or T216)were either Hall-Scott 590 six-cylinder engines or the International Red Diamond 450 six cylinder engines, both mounted vertically inline at the rear of the bus (save for conventional models, which included Ford gas engine options as well), with the International RD450 engine being the most popular engine option.

However, some were later retrofitted with diesels. Centralia/Chehalis Public School District had 5 1955 Pacific School Coach buses identical to mine and each was retrofitted with Detroit 6V53 diesel engines in the mid 1970s, and later retrofitted with automatics, and Shelton School District ran one retrofitted Pacific School Coach until the mid 1980s.

BTW, stay tuned. I've got some new photos of my bus coming taken last weekend. I took it out for a drive, and to a truck show.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net

Edited by - Steven A.Rosenow on 08/14/2007 01:41:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  1:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was bored so I decided to work on a bus. The wheels are a bit off.

Edited by - Kodie on 09/18/2007 1:38:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  2:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC Kodie

Hey, its a GMC Ward
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  3:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Quick design? Yeah right. It looks very good!!

quote:

Here's a quick new design I've made... I wish Blue Bird would take this up someday, I think it would be a pretty good success. It's based off of Kenworth's T-300 Class 6 commercial truck series.

It's a blue activity bus (no stop signs, no flashers)

Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  3:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You do these very good!!

quote:

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  3:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusFan

Quick design? Yeah right. It looks very good!!

quote:

Here's a quick new design I've made... I wish Blue Bird would take this up someday, I think it would be a pretty good success. It's based off of Kenworth's T-300 Class 6 commercial truck series.

It's a blue activity bus (no stop signs, no flashers)

Seriously, it didn't take that long... I took a T-300 off of the official KW website and made modifications to it, and just slapped on the windshield straight from the pic off of the website (it looked cooler that way).I'm thinking about brewing up some new designs on trusty good-'ol paint. Gotta keep up with the competition

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  7:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heres some add ons to my Vision inspired design.

My RE design is in the works. Heres a preview. Also you can see my start of the RE front. I used the headlights off of a real bus.

Edited by - Kodie on 09/18/2007 7:11:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  8:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great designs Kodie! Cant wait to se it finished.

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  3:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a school bus but a school bus inspired design of a tractor. It has both a dump and a mower which for me at least is so much more conveniant than a trailer.

Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  4:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not a school bus but a school bus inspired design of a tractor. It has both a dump and a mower which for me at least is so much more conveniant than a trailer.

I've made designs such as this. Here's one I did of a general "heavy-duty utility vehicle" :

I've done others, I'll try and see if I can find them...

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  3:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres the ad on to my RE design.

Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  4:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats really good! I am working on an FE design, I will post it here when it is done.

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  11:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out my designs, New, made in paint:
http://busyard.byethost7.com/drwentagreeyes01noopt2.html

-Jake

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  11:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not my design but some modifications to the roof cap and grille.
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  5:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great S1800 Jake! Looks very realistic.

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  5:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar Fe

Great S1800 Jake! Looks very realistic.

Thanks, it took me nearly 4 months to get it that good. Lots of practice, and all. It helps if you know your paint skills. Its not so blurry on the computer, something about photobucket does that.

-Jake

Yellow & Black
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  6:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the works still. As you can see I switched the radiator to the other side. The driver area is different also.. you will see that later.

Edited by - Kodie on 10/10/2007 6:15:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  02:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the First Student guy

Jake, what happened to the pictures you put up a wicked long time ago? They weren't bad.

ay ay ay, What are you talking about? Your being too vague.

Edited by - Jake on 10/11/2007 02:47:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  02:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the First Student guy

I remember the Thomas and Carpenter buses you usto draw, a junk yard picture, and others. Can you please repost them on your site?

You mean ones I physically drew instead of computer generated, yea, They'll be back soon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000