New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

janneman77

Peru
16 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  11:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good people on the schoolbusfleet;

After a months of orientating and reading and trying to get an import-license its is finally about to happen..

but I still wonder what are the better options for me to buy.

I got invited to come over to the USA in Florida to visit an auction. But I don't know if there are any who offers '98 schoolbusses.. any suggestions ??

With this bus I am going to operate a bus-line in Peru (South-America). And to exclude myselve from the rest I choose to have schoolbus of the type 'conventional'.

The size is the first issue, how are the fuelcosts compared to the amount of seats. If the seats are empty would it still be a big diffence in fuel-costs between a 48/64 seater ?

The second is the engine and transmission, size and brand.
For this I can provide the route:

2400 Km in a week every week,
2 days of 550 km (10hrs)
4 days of 325 km
1 day of rest.

The route is with climbing but for example with a fully loaded person-vehicle you lose maybe 20% of speed on the biggest climbs. Is a manual-gearing recommended here ???

And with brakes and suspension is there anything to avoid due the hard maintenance. The garages here are handy but basic.

Please give me an advice on this, this is too dificult to set for myselve.

I know the sell cummins and CAT parts here in Peru. And in Lima there are alot of schoolbus in the public-transport. Lots of the brand 'international' and 'Ford'.

Any help would be really appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by - janneman77 on 11/27/2006 11:23:07 AM

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  11:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Judging by the information you gave, I would recommend that you purchase an International conventional, with a DT466 or DT466E engine, air brakes, and preferably a manual transmission. These DT466 setups are extremely common in South America, and for good reason... they hold up!

As far as fuel economy goes, the difference probably wont be too much of an issue for you. Generally speaking, a shorter bus will probably get one, MAYBE two miles per gallon more - but it widely depends on a number of factors, including transmissions, options, gearing, etc.

If you are looking to buy from Florida, you will pay a premium, as with any area closer to the ports and the border. Buying from the northern part of the US will save you money, although the trade off will be having some rust.

Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  2:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard

Hello,

Judging by the information you gave, I would recommend that you purchase an International conventional, with a DT466 or DT466E engine, air brakes, and preferably a manual transmission. These DT466 setups are extremely common in South America, and for good reason... they hold up!

As far as fuel economy goes, the difference probably wont be too much of an issue for you. Generally speaking, a shorter bus will probably get one, MAYBE two miles per gallon more - but it widely depends on a number of factors, including transmissions, options, gearing, etc.

If you are looking to buy from Florida, you will pay a premium, as with any area closer to the ports and the border. Buying from the northern part of the US will save you money, although the trade off will be having some rust.

I would have to agree with the manual transmission. It would make some difference in fuel economy as well as less maitenence costs. The dt466 is widely avialable and has been around from today to at least as early as 1980. It will give you plenty of oomph to get up hills.

I'm not sure about prices of used buses down south, but up here they are decent. a 98 ihc thomas conventional with a2000 automatic trans and air brakes with 100,000 is around 14 grand, but im sure you an get a manual cheaper if you can find one.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Edited by - dem84skeeprollinup on 11/27/2006 2:25:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

janneman77

Peru
16 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  11:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very helpfull, my leading advices!

Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

Elliot

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  6:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might also consider shopping on the West Coast; California, Oregon and Washington. Very little rust here. In my travels, I see convoys of retired school buses heading south on I-5 - bound for south-of-the-border, from what I hear. I just bought a bus in Oregon and was told at the bus yard that they have sold several to Central and South America. Try First Student, Inc. They have quite a few buses for sale in Southern California, and also in Oregon. Their web site has a full inventory, albeit not always quite up to date. Stick shifts are rare anymore. Good luck!

Elliot
1992 Bluebird TC2000 FE, 5.9, MT643
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  7:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are concerned with repairs, it really depends on the parts availability in your area.

For suspension: air ride is the way to go- less stress on the bus body and chassis avoiding movement and shaking. This in turn reduces parts from coming loose. Bad side is getting parts for an air ride- maybe they are easy to get there and maybe not. Air ride will increase the ride quality by a lot.

The longer the bus, the better the ride since the wheelbase is spread out further. Better distribution of weight. Downside would be more weight meaning less MPG. Cats get better mileage than a Cummins although older INternationals perform very very well.

Midwest Transit Equipment has a huge selection and great prices on various makes and models. Their staff is extreemly helpful and will not guide you in the wrong direction. They can make the bus road ready for you and assit you with all your purchasing needs. I highly recommend you give them a call!

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  07:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah, Midwest transit has a huge selection for used buses, plus they will work with you with exporting, they reguarly sell buses to South America.

hey Richard, you should recomend this bus, it looks to be simalar to the description to the bus jammeman77 is looking for.

http://www.qualitybussales.com/usedbuses_detail.php?id=78

Edited by - dem84skeeprollinup on 11/29/2006 08:17:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  7:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I should mention I have a bus for sale....
Go to Top of Page

janneman77

Peru
16 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those busses at http://www.qualitybussales.com where absolutly what I am interested in!
But the are all sold now :(

tips like this are highly appreciated!!
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  3:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
tough luck i guees. manuals are way harder to come by these days. They are more common in freightliners for buses in that age range.

I cant find anything realy close to thoes models as of now, but heres a 97 thomas ford with air and manual tranny,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-FORD-71-PASSENGER-THOMAS-SCHOOL-BUS-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6728QQihZ016QQitemZ260057756206QQrdZ1

it appears not to be in the greatest condition though, but its an option.

Are you looking for more than one bus? How many are you looking for?

Edited by - dem84skeeprollinup on 12/02/2006 3:40:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  4:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janneman77

Those busses at http://www.qualitybussales.com where absolutly what I am interested in!
But the are all sold now :(

tips like this are highly appreciated!!

Don't despair, janneman77! _Quality_ Bus Sales in NOT just a name.

While the entire Quality staff is extremely competent, I must recommend that you request Mr. Solano for your bus purchasing needs.
He WILL find the perfect bus for you! He might even be able to arrange delivery to South America!

(Hey Richard and all SBFers: Wouldn't that be the road trip to end ALL road trips?!?! Count me in (if school's out)!
Be warned though, fellas [and Trina], there are some PERILOUS stretches on the route to Peru....roving bands of Frito Banditos and whatnot....don't sign on without seriously considering the dangers! I can help with security...through some connections from my former job, I can borrow a half dozen or so M-16s and maybe a .50 cal on a tripod to aim out the emergency door. We'll put Bret on the .50 cal...cuz he reminds me of (an aging) Rambo!

Richard, just holler if I can help!)
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  5:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

Be warned though, fellas [and Trina], there are some PERILOUS stretches on the route to Peru...

As long as you're there, IC, I'd feel much better about the whole trip.
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  5:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just what we needed, buses with machine guns................

Yeah, Quality Bus Sales is good, but may I also recomend Midwest transit equipment. Their used bus site is http://www.used-bus.com Most of their business is exporting to South America. I think their salesman Mario is from that area also, if Quality Bus Sales Can't help you , midwest transit can.

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  6:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buskid

quote:
Originally posted by IC

Be warned though, fellas [and Trina], there are some PERILOUS stretches on the route to Peru...

As long as you're there, IC, I'd feel much better about the whole trip.

If you're going, Trina, I'm GOING (even if I gotta take off work)! Hon, I know you're no "shrinking violet" (you've been a sb driver!) and can take care of yourself and all...but I MUST tell you that a .50 cal can be VERY hard on your (or anybody's) nails. So, I propose that if we get involved in a pitched battle in, say Uruguay...that you and Bret take turns on the .50, alternating firing and feeding the ammo belt...believe me, it's easier that way.

PS: As an added bonus.....upon arrival, IC (me) will graciously host a HUGE party at the finest hotel in Lima and (after we recover!) fly all SBFers home gratis...Bloody Marys on me 'til we land! (Janneman, obviously, will be the guest of honor!)
Go to Top of Page

janneman77

Peru
16 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  3:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish the journey was the biggest expense... No its the import-tax... but with those guns that could be alot milder aswell..
Your more then welcome, gringos!
Bring me 2 of those american beauties, and I show you live in Lima!
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  3:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ha! Well you picked the right group for your bus guard. No need for death and destruction, or is there?

You need two buses, preferably 1998 IHC conventionals, with a DT466, manual transmission, air brakes, and to be 65-72 capacity. Also you need them to have or be retrofitted with safety belts for Puru government standards.

Heres the shopping list boys(And Trina)! Lets see what we can dig up.

Edited by - dem84skeeprollinup on 12/04/2006 4:01:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

janneman77

Peru
16 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  10:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! Preferable 1999 as we are running close to 2007.
But the overland idea is amazing! Its crossing my mind ever since suggested.
Look myselve I drove a benefit-rally-challenge from Amsterdam to Dakar (Senegal) a couple of years ago.
The challenge and only rule was you couldn't spend more then 500 euros for the vehicle in total.
With 30 challenging vehicles we drove a fantastic route and donated the cars to local schools, hospitals and other good-willing organisation.

And ever since I want to travel in a 'fleet' again with some cheap-intercoms installed we had one big laughing trip :)

Edited by - janneman77 on 12/05/2006 10:37:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  1:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, 1999 it is. A manual transmission is going to pretty hard to find for that new of an IHC. Frieghtliners with manuals for that time period more commonly found than any other chassis. If you were to go with the Frieghtliner chassis, your engine choices would be a Cummins ISB (5.9) or the CAT 3116. I wouldn't know the parts accesablity of these engines in South America.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000