TC-2000 vs All American??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elliot

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  11:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received such good replies to my other question that I'll venture a fresh thread for this one.

What is the difference between Bluebird's front engine models TC-2000 and All American? I'm in the marked for a new (old, inexpensive) bus with maximum interior space and front engine and I've looked at a 40-foot 1991 TC-2000, but the engine is only a 5,9.

Other brands have made similar buses, and that's of interest too.

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  06:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One note, the TC/2000 isn't made anymore. I believe the last model produced was in 2002-2003.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  06:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Blue Bird All American FE is considered a "premium" bus, while the TC/2000 FE was a lower cost unit, with less options, and various other things.

Essentially, the TC had a lighter frame, and did not utilize a "drop-frame" chassis, where the engine is lower in the chassis. The All American recieved a drop-frame chassis in 1999 I believe.

Another difference is, the TC FE only offered the Cummins engines, as well as a GM 427 gas engine for a certain time. The All American FE also offered a Cat engine, and no gas engine.

The driver's area in both buses was also different.

Both buses are great, and even though the TC FE was cheaper, it was still a very reliable and successful bus for Blue Bird.

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  07:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you guys know all of this stuff? What does TC stand for? (Thomas Crown?)
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  08:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 80AmtranRE4

Yeah, it stands for Thomas Crown, two completely seperate companies that have nothing to do with Blue Bird!

How do you learn this stuff? Reading these forums, reading the companies websites and looking at the different pictures on school bus websites. It's really not that hard to figure out after looking at the different resources for a while.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  12:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas86, come on. You know it stands for Tonka Crayola. Tonka built the bus and Crayola painted it with washable markers. Then, after it rained, the kids in detention grabbed fresh new markers and went to town. JK

Amtran- check out Richard or Mikes bus photos webpages. They may help you. They may also not help you so go surf the net and see what you come up with.

I couldn't resist.
Go to Top of Page

Dogbert

Canada
48 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  1:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a nice joke CPCSC_TD.

Somebody should start up a website (or add-on to theirs) a section with these kinds of factual questions and knowledge.
The years a certain bus was being made, what changed from year to year on that bus, what the engine and bus model abbreviations mean, and other things.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  3:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 80AmtranRE4

Hey Amtran...."The Thomas Crown Affair" was a pretty good flick! See if you can rent it!

(I kinda like Rene Russo)
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  3:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbert

Somebody should start up a website (or add-on to theirs) a section with these kinds of factual questions and knowledge.
The years a certain bus was being made, what changed from year to year on that bus, what the engine and bus model abbreviations mean, and other things.

This sounds like an excellent idea. I could actually see something like this being a part of School Bus Central or a similar site.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  4:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my site gets redesigned within the next year, I will be having a thorough bus information page.

So stay tuned.

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  6:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry! So what does TC stand for anyways?

Also: Just out of curiousity, I did do a search to see if there really was a movie called the Thomas Crown Affair, there was in 1968

Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
Thomas Crown, a young, handsome millionaire pulls off the perfect crime by having four men rob a bank and dump the money in a trash can, which Crown retrieves later and stores in a Geneva bank. Vicki Anderson, an independent insurance investigator, is contracted to investigate the heist. As she digs deeper into the case she begins to suspect Crown's involvement. In an attempt to get closer she begins seeing Crown socially, openly telling him she is investigating him.

They enjoy activities together like racing a dune buggy. The film was modeled on the life of noted Belgian thief, Tomas Van Der Heijden who stole over 7,000,000 Swiss Francs in 1954 [citation needed].

Like other action movies of the late 1960s, there is abundant use of split screens to show simultaneous actions.

The movie has the distinction of featuring the longest kiss in cinema history, with McQueen and Dunaway liplocked in one scene for 55 uninterrupted seconds. This scene took over eight hours to film over a number of days.

The film also features the now famous chess scene. McQueen and Dunaway play a game of chess, silently flirting with each other, carressing the chess pieces, using them as metaphorical sexual objects.

Sean Connery had been the original choice for the title role but declined, a decision he later regretted.

[edit] Cast and charactershttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thomas_Crown_Affair_%281968_film%29
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  2:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This thread is giving me a headache.

To answer the question, TC stands for Transit Coach.
Go to Top of Page

Elliot

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  3:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I gave you a headache, 724!

The good news is, I just bought a 1992 TC2000 Front Engine from First Student. Cummins 5,9 with turbo and intercooler, AT545, air brakes, 84 pax. I'm sure I can do without the extra goodies of the All American.

Thanks for all the info you guys provide!

Elliot
1992 Bluebird TC2000 FE, 5.9, MT643
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  4:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Amtran, I was talking about the 1999 remake of the film...which I didn't know was a reamake until your post. I'll have to look for the 1968 version.....it's probably better. Few remakes are anything near as good as the originals.

(I still like Rene Russo, though!)
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  4:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elliot

The good news is, I just bought a 1992 TC2000 Front Engine from First Student. Cummins 5,9 with turbo and intercooler, AT545, air brakes, 84 pax. I'm sure I can do without the extra goodies of the All American.

Thanks for all the info you guys provide!

I don't think 724 was blaming you, Elliot. Prolly those darn "certain" people again! LOL

Congratulations on your bus purchase! We have a lot of '90 and '91 TC2000 FEs in our fleet...same as yours, only 78 pax. They are spares and I usually get one when my AmTran RE goes in for service.

I enjoy driving them!

Good luck with your bus!

Edited by - IC on 11/20/2006 4:06:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  4:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

quote:

I don't think 724 was blaming you, Elliot. Prolly those darn "certain" people again! LOL

No, I wasn't blaming Elliot. As for which "certain" people, no comment.
Go to Top of Page

Elliot

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  10:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I started the thread, so I'm ultimately responsible, right? LOL!

Elliot
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  04:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Elliot's new... he may not know who the "certain" people are....

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Elliot

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  07:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More info for those who look for such info in the future:
Bluebird apparently built the (Forward Control) Wanderlodge on the All American chassis. And a 1978 Wanderlodge has curved windshields while my 1992 TC2000 has flat windshields.

Elliot
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  09:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More info for those who look for such info in the future:
Bluebird apparently built the (Forward Control) Wanderlodge on the All American chassis. And a 1978 Wanderlodge has curved windshields while my 1992 TC2000 has flat windshields.

Flat and curved windshields are options you can pick between on all Blue Bird models. I'm not sure when they started offering them on each model line, but they've been around for a long while.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Elliot

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  5:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah... Thanks! I keep learning.

Elliot
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000