New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  07:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our local dealer still keeps avoiding the ISIS issue. I was under the assumption that if you bought busses through International you got access. In the past we have sold 100+ international/bluebird conventionals to our customers. That's after loosing the B7 Gm chassis in 2003. They are pretty good busses but when one breaks they call me, not navistar. I know I need some diag equipment (which I am working on) but I hate sending MY customers to another dealer. This bus has a simple cold running problem (slow acceleration) after it warms up it is fine. No black smoke at all or during the low power concern. I changed the coolant sensor, didn't help. The blink codes showed a 114 and a 115. I could not verify because I had no way to view the sensor data. Should I mention the dealer's name?

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no dont mention names.
i understand your delama on the sending it somewhere else but that is also why they probally arent offering it to you.
it is ment for fleet operators and your competion to them.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.

Edited by - jeepcjron on 09/21/2006 06:23:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  3:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, it's a bunch of BS. Even though we offer a conventional with a navistar chassis. My service rep says the future for that combo is looking pretty grim. Too bad, it has to be like that. I suggested to the boss that we trade our two navistar/bluebirds off. The IC fans will have to deal with the bodies that come with thier bus.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  6:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, BS is an understatement.

Navistar's decision to quit making the FBC is just the next step in the competition for the School Bus market.

When I started working here we had a mixed fleet of chassis and bodies..... IH, GMC, Fords, BB All American, Thomas, Carpenter, Wayne. I made good arguements to the school business manager about sticking with IH conventionals and Thomas bodies.

After a decade, for a brief period, I had a whole yard full of IH/Thomas buses until Freightliner threw a wrench into things.

We switched to BB bodies even though it cost more to stay with the Navistar chassis. AMTran was not really an option in Maine due to some dealer conflicts plus I didn't like the design of the floor crossmembers. They were sand and salt catchers.

Now that Navistar has leveled the playing field with Freightliner and IC (formerly Ward) has changed their floor crossmembers, I am committing our fleet, with the School business manager's blessing, to the IC arrangement rather than switching to Freightliner.

The BB vision looks interesting, but I have had some negative experiences with the local BB dealer and the nightmares of BB All Americans still lingers. It has some possibilities, tho........

The recent turbo issues have me wondering if I made the right decision. The 2007 models will be a challenge for all the manufacturers. Wait and see......

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

BusBabe1036

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  3:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

Our local dealer still keeps avoiding the ISIS issue. I was under the assumption that if you bought busses through International you got access. In the past we have sold 100+ international/bluebird conventionals to our customers. That's after loosing the B7 Gm chassis in 2003. They are pretty good busses but when one breaks they call me, not navistar. I know I need some diag equipment (which I am working on) but I hate sending MY customers to another dealer. This bus has a simple cold running problem (slow acceleration) after it warms up it is fine. No black smoke at all or during the low power concern. I changed the coolant sensor, didn't help. The blink codes showed a 114 and a 115. I could not verify because I had no way to view the sensor data. Should I mention the dealer's name?

Contact the local IC dealer they should be able to sign you up for ISIS
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  3:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was under the assumption that if you bought busses through International you got access.

"Bought thru" no, OWN yes. "Bus ISIS" is for bus FLEETS, and as I understand it that is anywhere from a handful to thousands of units.

Option #2, buy "Diamond ISIS" on CD/DVD. It contains all the same info, but is only updated every quarter instead of weekly or so. You install it onto your computer, and it runs from there... no need for an internet connection... VERY useful at remote locations.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  6:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Bought thru" no, OWN yes. "Bus ISIS" is for bus FLEETS, and as I understand it that is anywhere from a handful to thousands of units.

What if your "fleet" only consists of one International/IC bus?
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  08:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Option 3 copy from a buddy.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  5:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

quote:

What if your "fleet" only consists of one International/IC bus?

We have just taken delivery of our first IC bus and I have filled out the application for access to the IC site, I was told to expect a username and PIN in the mail within 3 weeks. Stay tuned.....

Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  2:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IBTMECH, did you get a username and pin? Also did you have to pay a yearly subscription? Our entire fleet is Navistar and I was told it cost $1100 a year for the web site. Where did you get an application?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  5:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have free access to the IC site. The login and pin was obtained through the IC dealer. You must have an IC bus in your fleet.

We have a lot of Navistars in our Public Works fleet and I get an ISIS CD with every new truck. I put it right in the bid specs.

I have less control over the bus bid specs but the dealer was very helpful in obtaining access.

Ask jeepcjron. I got it through him.

Edited by - IBTMech on 12/07/2006 5:27:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  6:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have five IC's and the rest of the fleet is on Navistar chassis, all purchased from the same dealer. I also get the ISIS cd with each new bus.

I'll see if jeepcjron jumps in with some help.

Thank you very much! Scott

Edited by - second.flood on 12/15/2006 09:48:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  1:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They totally backed out on me! The local dealer said the new "IC bus body and all" we had to buy? WTF would I wanna do that?

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  09:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our IC salesman did some checking and said we get 1 year ISIS online free with each IC bus purchase.
Our local dealer said they had no knowledge of this. I should get the paperwork next week.

Edited by - second.flood on 12/15/2006 09:49:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  07:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one year free sounds good. Do they let you fix your own under warranty? Do they re-imburse you? But after 1 year you have to sell your soul to get access? I am not just picking on IC, all of the OEMs are like that. It's sad we have to put up with it. I am still bound and determined to beat the system, I will eventually be able to get access to them all. Anyone use Torrents? I have saw a few online service manuals, software and even ASE study guides.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  05:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We let the dealer do their own warranty work. We also buy enough units we should have Bus ISIS free for as long as they offer this promotion. I think it's nice to have it offered free for a year, when I was in the car repair business I had to buy all the manuals needed, just a cost of doing business.

quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

The one year free sounds good. Do they let you fix your own under warranty? Do they re-imburse you? But after 1 year you have to sell your soul to get access? I am not just picking on IC, all of the OEMs are like that. It's sad we have to put up with it. I am still bound and determined to beat the system, I will eventually be able to get access to them all. Anyone use Torrents? I have saw a few online service manuals, software and even ASE study guides.

Edited by - second.flood on 01/09/2007 5:53:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  06:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I am saying, why put miles or towing on a bus. It might be a simple fix that we can do with the right knowledge. Saving IC the warranty costs. By supplying free software and access to thier database of trouble shooting. ALL OEM suppliers should offer this.I can see buying the tools and actual manuals, and even training. If you ever get the chance to take a Bluebird training course, do it. You will see what I mean.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000