New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  3:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sep 10, 2006 - NY1, NY -- Four-year-old Saniyya Dennis fell asleep on her bus on the way home from kindergarten Friday afternoon in Manhattan. When she woke up, she found herself alone at a bus depot.

Her mother called school officials who were able to track down the bus driver and get the child home after three nerve-racking hours.

The Department of Education says there is a formal investigation into the matter. No one from Atlantic Express Bus, which owns the bus involved, was available for comment.

click for full story

william
Top Member

USA
1912 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  5:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see william's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Atlantic Express should follow the example set by United Bus Company. If these bozos wont take the time to inspect their bus, why would a company want them anyway?

William
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  6:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And why would they want a manager as lazy as that one - worthless and probably lied to management that no child would ever be left on the buses. Fire the “Bozo” manager as well and get a manager with some tiny measure of skill sufficient to set up a system that catches this missed step within a few minutes. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Hostage Takeover, bus fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 09/10/2006 6:31:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

DanLJ
Advanced Member

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  03:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
William - it never ceases to amaze me how some people continuously attempt to transfer the basic responsibilities of the driver to somebody else, usually "management" in these instances. More incredulous is how, from the basic information provided in the article, that the manager is now "worthless" and that he/she "probably lied" . . .

Pre and post-trip inspections are basic requirements for drivers, management should have procedures and/or tools in place to help these drivers to do their jobs - and, in the end, that's exactly what it boils down to - drivers doing their jobs in a competent and responsible manner.

How ironic is it that the advocate for making drivers "captain of the bus", with all of the authority implied in being a captain, strenuously objects to holding that captain responsible for failing to fully execute their responsibilities?

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  1:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nor does it cease to amaze me how some manager’s hide under their favorite rock, rather than standing on top of it like a professional man or women would – managers as incompetent as the school bus drivers they attack.

That said, and only the ignorant to my position - which you certainly are not but seem pretending to be - could not determine that my motive is not to see an incompetent manager fired in a situation like this, unless it is the decision as well to fire the bus driver for his or her missed step.

Since the driver did not leave all the kids behind on the bus, the obvious trigger that began this event is a child asleep on the bus, the driver missing a step and management's failure to establish an effective support system that works.

Both should be disciplined - neither should be fired, in my opinion.
(jk)

Hostage Takeover, bus fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

Go to Top of Page

william
Top Member

USA
1912 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  7:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see william's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You know, Dan, James never fails to amaze me. How far would you take this blame everyone except the driver if you were the manager, JK? As far as my standing on "top of it" and excepting the blame for some lazy, dishonest and negligent bozo, hell would freeze over before I would do that. Whatever became of personal accountability, JK?

It amazes me that a man who has dedicated so much of his time and resources in the cause of school bus safety could have such a cavalier attitude towards punishing those responsible for such an egregious act as failing to check the bus for sleepers and in not doing so, leaves a child behind.

William
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  01:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Again, you're taking out of context what myself and presumably others are saying. No one has released the bus driver from responsibility, as you well know. And you, and it would seem some in agreement with you, have attempted to release the manager from his or her share of the responsibility to make sure the drivers are properly supported, as is the case with your employer. Perhaps it is time to remind us what process your employer requires when the buses return that helps insure the kids are safe on the buses and the drivers properly supported. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

william
Top Member

USA
1912 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  9:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Click to see william's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've gone over time and again the procedures we use company wide to insure no child is left unattended on a deserted school bus. We have checkers physically check each bus as it enters the yard. Now, the driver supposedly has already checked the bus after dropping off the last child. Let's say that both the driver and the checker does not actually check the bus as required, and a child is left behind, but both of them signs off that they have checked the bus for sleepers. Are you really going to tell us that when the driver and checker is fired or whatever, the manager should suffer the same fate?

Plain and simple is this fact. Rules should be followed and enforced. I know as well as you that human being make mistakes. But is it really a mistake when you deliberately disable a "fail-safe" system that has cost the company thousands of dollars, or fail to check for sleepers out of sheer laziness and negligence? I don't think so.

Tell me, JK, how many children have been left behind by people who actually followed rules and procedures and utilized the equipment designed to help prevent kids from being left on buses? This business of kids sleeping under seats is at best an aberration, a myth or a convenient excuse (lie), when a child is left behind.

In a previous thread I see where a driver was placed into custody for leaving a child on an empty bus and I say bravo!

William
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  2:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I

Edited by - busdrver4jesus on 09/13/2006 2:34:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000