Pre-trip inspection option on C2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigboy9600

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  2:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does any one know how to activate the pre-trip inspection option to check the outside lights on the C2 Please let me know. Thank You all.

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  3:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes! I was so excited when I got it to work, and thank you to Richard for telling me how to do it in the first place (even though he's never tried himself, last time I asked, lol). First make sure all your accessories are off, because in the process you have to use the key, and it's not good for any component to be on when the voltage is suddenly turned on and off. Okay, so with the ignition off, turn on the hazard lights, and pull the high beam stick towards you, holding it there. Then, while still holding, turn the igntion switch backwards to ACC (NOT RUN) three times. On the fourth time you hit ACC, a beeper will start telling you that the bus is ready. Move to the front of the bus, and in time, it will begin the process. The lights will start on the left, and guide you one at a time all the way around the bus back to where you started.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 07/21/2006 3:03:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  3:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The following is just an editorial note:

In my opinion, the automatic light checker only verifies that the bulbs are working, and that is only half of the system! The other half of the system that you can test is the switches. Since the automatic pretrip bypassed all the switches by doing it through the computer, I feel that it is important to sit in the cockpit once the pretrip is finished and test each switch individually too, using the dashboard indicators and light monitor to verify that the switch is working. On a normal bus, it's never acceptable to rely on indicators and monitors in a pretrip, but since you've already verified the outside lights work during the automatic walk around, you could safely check the function of the switch on the inside of the bus by using just the indicators or monitor.

Does that make sense?

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 07/21/2006 3:07:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  3:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I love the Thomas C2 system when compared to IC's system.

First off, on the C2, all of the lights aren't flashing at once, which is less strain on the battery and less strain on your eyes. On the C2, the lights are like a lighted tour of sorts, that takes approximately 3-4 minutes if I recall correctly. It starts on the top left, and lights up one light at a time, gradually going down, then it'll continue down the bus. It even opens up the stop arms one at a time, and lights up each bulb seperately. It'll also open the crossing gate if equipped.

I agree with Mike... it is still important to just be sure that the switches work on the bus, although with the modern marvel of multiplexing, it is pretty rare for one of the light switches to fail. But I'm sure it's possible.

And on a side note, if a bulb is burnt out on a C2, even if it is an interior bulb, there is an indicator that will flash on the corresponding switch, letting the driver know. I feel that is a WONDERFUL safety feature.

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  3:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Multiplexing has nothing to do with the design of the switch...Any switch can fail at any time (altho it's rare), and you should always just cycle thru the panel to make sure the switches all work. The lamp check just makes it possible to do only one walkaround instead of 2.
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  4:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I started driving my C2 this past April, I've actually only used the system to pre-trip once. But I have showed other drivers how it works plenty of times.

Mike, I understand what you're saying. Our head mechanic told us the same thing. Just because the light works, doesn't mean the switch that operates the light is working. But I still pre-trip my bus the old fashioned way anyway.

Kinda off topic, but in the few months I got to drive my bus before school ended for the summer, I got so used to that big windshield that when I drive a "regular" bus, I feel like I'm closed in. I wasn't sure I'd like this bus when I found out I was getting one, but I don't think I'd trade it for anything. I love it. And that's probably a good thing, since we are going back to IC after a couple of years of going with Thomas (our mechanics are diehard International fans).

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  4:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 78fordwayne

I would think the IC would be alot nicer. Just flip the switch and your all set.
The lights on the CEs dont all light at once. They come on at different times. At least the 2007 s that I played around with.

I know they don't ALL come on at once, but there are quite a few lights coming on at the same time, not just one like the C2. This could make it easier for a driver to miss something, or to speed through the entire process.

The C2's system allows the driver time to not only check the lights, but also time to check slack adjusters, tires, and most general features. I feel that having a system that is consistent to make the drivers go a certain direction each time is smartest, so they get used to a thorough pre-trip.

Edited by - Rich on 07/21/2006 4:10:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC-CEiswhereiwannabe
Advanced Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  4:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Personally, I love the Thomas C2 system when compared to IC's system.

First off, on the C2, all of the lights aren't flashing at once,

Its not true. The CE that I've been assigned for the summer, you just push the button and it automatically goes from light to light, in a nice systematic order. I especially like the tailights/brake lights which flash first at tail and then brake intensity.

Why can't U C what I C in IC?
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdBoi3037

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  05:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks for letting me know this I was always curious. I have been assigned a C2 for the summer and never really knew how to start the auto pre-trip. I knew it had one but didn't know how to activate it. THANKS A LOT! Just curious how are your C2's spec'd?

"I drive a 2005 Thomas C2!"
Go to Top of Page

bigboy9600

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  2:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You It works. It's a very cool feature.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  5:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before I pass this info along, is this still accurate? Talking about buses build in 2008 and 2009?

We tried it on an 09 tonight trying to go off of memory and thought we made the thing mad when it started beeping at us!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasIC

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  7:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit ThomasIC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love the C-2 the body design is really well designed, i think its one of the best buese built, though IC FE is the best ever and my favorite.

COMMING SOON GOLDEN TRANSPORTATION. Link: http://www.goldentransportationrp.smfnew.com/index.php?action=forum
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  06:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Before I pass this info along, is this still accurate? Talking about buses build in 2008 and 2009

Yes. It should still be the same.

quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24We tried it on an 09 tonight trying to go off of memory and thought we made the thing mad when it started beeping at us!

LOL!!!

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  1:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info! Is it "normal" for a bus to do this...

Wait till it goes to sleep, then turn on the headlight switch...right fan runs for about 2 seconds, shuts off, then the lights come on! Not a problem, just an amusing little quirk the driver discovered by accident.
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  07:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every C2 does that. That delay action leads me to believe that the relay for the w/s fan needs to be energized to turn the fan off.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  5:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny that this thread came up now. We got notice today from Thomas that C2's will now be coming with a dedicated pre-trip switch mounted on the dash.

Edited by - C2FAN on 04/07/2011 5:53:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

ACL

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  12:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Resurrecting an old thread here... how do you C2 jocks use the pre-trip feature? I think it's pretty lame. It takes FOREVER, slowly flashing each individual light seven times over about four seconds, with an occasional delay for no apparent reason that isn't long enough to inspect anything else. There's about 20 seconds between front and back that is MAYBE enough time to inspect under the bus but the clock is ticking so are you really going to take a second look at anything? So you are really held hostage by the timing.

I think it would be way better if it went something like this, maybe two flashes each:
- clip lights
- both reds
- both ambers
- both front corner markers
- headlights LOW-HIGH-LOW-HIGH-LOW
- left TS
- strobe and right TS and keep doing that
- [driver inspects down right side]
- [driver cycles rear door handle to resume test]
- clips, reds, ambers, brake, tail, reverse, plate illum, like in front
- left TS and keep doing that for same length of time as right side delay
- stop arm
- cross arm
- horn
- strobe off, done.

That is a sequence that can combine the lights and underbody inspection efficiently.

As far as I can tell, it's pretty much impossible to safely test the reverse light switch in daylight. It seems that the C2 deactivates the reverse lights when the e-brake is on. I assume that if the lamps work and the backup beeper works, the lights come on in reverse.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000