Enter Forum: Breaking News
 School Bus & Car Crash In MA, Car Driver Killed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DJBUSMARK

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  05:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Send DJBUSMARK an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A car crashes into a Massini Bus Co. school bus bus Friday (5/19) in Graet Barrington MA. The driver of the car was killed, the 21 children on board appear to have been uninjured.
Here is a link to a story with a photo of the accident scene from the Berkshire eagle website:

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/headlines/ci_3845965

Mark

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  06:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's terrible. What disturbs me the most, is that newspaper or media outlet, had the guts to show such a graphic photo. Makes me sick to my stomach. Don't they have any regards for the family members? For those of you who don't want to look at the photo, I've pasted the story down below, I almost want to call the Berkshire Eagle and tell them how thoughtless that was of them.

My prayers to the all involved and the family, friends etc. Great Barrington is located in Western Massachusetts, on the NY/MA line.

Saturday, May 20
GREAT BARRINGTON — A Stockbridge woman was killed yesterday afternoon when her Honda hatchback crossed the center line on Route 7 near Thornewood Inn and collided head-on with a southbound school bus carrying 21 children.
The 3:27 p.m. crash demolished the red Honda, trapping and killing Susan E. Anderson, 59, inside. The incident set in motion a chain of emergency calls to rescue personnel, Muddy Brook Elementary School and the Massini Bus Co., whose driver, Daniel Miller Jr., 52, was at the wheel.

The children were ushered quickly off the bus and into the dining room of the inn, where a group of emergency medical technicians soon arrived to check out each one. All were deemed in good shape. The police were unable to determine a reason why Anderson swerved into the oncoming bus.

A replacement bus was summoned, although some parents were already on the way, as they'd been reached by the elementary school.

As fire and police personnel surveyed the damage and spoke to witnesses, parents and other bus drivers from Massini Bus Co. began arriving at the inn.

Some parents and others, unable to get their cars past a police roadblock at the Route 183 intersection to the south, parked their cars up the road and walked in the rain.

"The children are fine," said school staff members, who were peppered with questions upon their arrival at the inn.

Drivers from Massini Bus Co. gathered around Miller, who was wrapped in the arms of colleagues on the porch of the inn as he tried to make sense of what happened.

Muddy Brook Elementary Principal Denise Gould, who recently started her job, took charge at the inn's door and spoke up, asking for parents' attention as they arrived.

"We don't know what the children saw or didn't see," said Gould, urging parents to keep alert for signs of worry or fear. "Let

them know they're safe."

Then the parents filed through the door to seek out their sons and daughters. They were ushered out the back door into the rear parking lot to avoid the scene on the road outside.

The crash halted southbound traffic, and police diverted northbound cars onto Route 183 through Housatonic. On the north end, Stockbridge Police assisted with the detour.

The drivers of cars that had been behind the bus waited at the Thornewood Inn for information or to give statements.

One woman, who said she was right behind the bus, said she never even saw the Honda cross the line.

Another man, a few cars back, said, "The children were just great getting off the bus."

Inside, surrounded by school personnel and police, Miller said he was feeling a confusing mix of relief and worry. He was relieved that the children were all right, he said, but "I feel so bad for that driver and the family."

Sometime after 4 p.m., the replacement bus that had been called took on a half-dozen children whose parents had not been reached. They filled up the seats in the rear of the bus, and as the driver pulled out of the inn's main exit, small faces peered out the windows toward the south, where they saw their crippled bus and the crushed car.

The accident remains under investigation by Great Barrington Police.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 05/20/2006 06:51:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  2:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, a brand new Vision 2005+. What a terrible story.

The bus sure did hold up well though considering the circumstances.

Go to Top of Page

YellowLimoDriver

1 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  04:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit YellowLimoDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was the bus driver in that horrific accident. Until recently I was unaware that my name and details had been posted online, other than the news story itself. This was my first (and only so far) accident involving a fatality and it could have been worse had I not told a student to sit in his seat since he was standing in the aisle talking to another student just 1/2 mile before the collision.

Much credit goes to the people who helped evacuate the bus and the emergency responders as well as the bus manufacturer for building a frame that withstood the impact of an oncoming vehicle traveling about 60 mph. While the bus was totaled with extensive front end damage and floor buckling, the students and I remained safe from any direct injury.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000