Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 Reconnecting a Vacuum Stop Arm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MongoKen

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  11:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Send MongoKen an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I found a 1985 Ward/Chev Gas bus that I am considering purchasing..but was wondering how difficult it is to reconnect the stop arm/crossing gate? I see the hole where the vacuum line connects but cannot see the plumbing? How difficult a task would this be? - or should I consider an electric arm? The stop arm and crossing arm are included w/the bus but have been removed. Any advise you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

"Superior Buses..A Legend of the Past"

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  4:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As far as vacuum vs. electric, it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. If a vacuum line leaks, no action, if an electric wire breaks,or the microswitches fail, no action-----

You might need to take the interior panel off to find the vacuum lines for the stop arm. The pipe might have gotten pushed around, or else it might have been removed with the stop sign. Also look behind the front bumper for the vacuum line there, if it was elecric, there will probably be a connector there.

Edited by - kd4jfd on 12/02/2001 4:31:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  5:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken its not too hard to do, but I've never heard of a vacuum crossing gate. All the ones I've seen are electric or air powered. If the bus has air brakes, go with air powered units. More reliable by far than electric. If the unit has hydraulic brakes then it must be electric. Good luck whatever you decide.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2001 :  4:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ken,

If you cannot find the vacuum plumbing for the stop sign and/or the crossing gate, or if the vacuum plumbing was removed with the stop sign/crossing gate for sure, then go with electric. The vacuum operated stop arms are very rare and I believe they are less reliable than electric or air-operated stop signs.

I agree with Joe. If the bus is equipped with air brakes, go for the air-operated stop sign and crossing gate. You'll be glad you did!

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

"Blue Bird: Always flyin' high above the rest...
Blue Bird: One of America's Best!!! "
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000