Removing Speed Controller
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cevonk

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  3:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bus has a Sturdy brand "Road Speed Control and Engine Governor" on it. I want to take it off to free up space on the firewall. (It's a privately owned bus, not a school owned bus.) When I bought the bus, the mechanics at the yard removed some gears from one part of it and said that that would "disable" the speed controller. It looks as if the thing is hooked up to a whole bunch of stuff: throttle cable, transmission (?); speedo; lots of wires on it. Can I just take the thing off?

The bus is a 1985 Thomas-built IH S-1800 Chassis with 9.0 Liter engine and AT-545 tranny. The only identifying information on the speed controller is the company name and product description (above) and a date: Jun 18 1993. That's it. No model number, no serial number, nothing. The company's website has no useful information on the device (in its current iteration) that they sell. I have the contact # for the company, but I have the suspicion that they are not going to be too interested in providing customer service for old product.

Is this device the actual governor that keeps the engine from overspeeding? I thought that was mechanically controlled. If this is just a device to keep the road speed down, I don't need it, and I do need the space on the firewall for something else.

Thanks in advance.

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  5:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If this device has a throttle cable input AND output, the easiest thing to do is to purchase a new ONE PIECE throttle cable assembly from your friendly International dealer and install it in place of what you currently have.

Please realize that the engine may not be able to give any additional road speed.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

cevonk

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  05:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, ModMech!

I am pretty sure that defeating the device won't give me any more roadspeed. NC's busses are governed at 45MPH (from what I was told), and I can get up to 50ish MPH. Based on calculations of tire diameter, transmission ratio, and rear-end ratio, 50MPH is the top speed for my bus at its 2800 RPM limit. That is because the rear end ratio is 6.5:1.

I don't want to increase the engine RPM, or defeat any engine-speed limiting mechanism by disconnecting and removing the governor. I just want to get the thing off my firewall.

Isn't engine speed on a fuel injected, normally aspirated diesel limited by the amount of fuel that is pumped through the injectors? My big fear is that if I remove the device, I could end up with a runaway engine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000