backing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrmacjr44

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2001 :  7:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
backing up safely most of the dents on the buses in your yard are from backing up anyone now a safe way to do it thanks to all

jim

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2001 :  5:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can see where to stop better when you park nose-in. Backing out is easier, too - assuming there is sufficient distance between bus rows to maneuver safely.

Go to Top of Page

bonnie

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2001 :  7:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the time you are on you own, as far as backing goes. Slow and easy,mirrors,and good judgment help.

bonnie l. foran
Go to Top of Page

boomur

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2001 :  9:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who ever thinks that parking nose into a parking spot is a good idea needs thier head examined. It is a proven fact that backing into you spot is byfar the safest way to manouver. If you live in a cold or damp climate you know your mirrors are not going to be sufficient to guide you in the early winter mornings. Also you dont know what is going on around you when you are surrounded by busses. When you back into your spot, you are provided with a full view and you can see what is around you. We all know it cannot be avoided but always look for the easy way out before you have to back up.

Go to Top of Page

drivetrain

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2001 :  5:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, look where you plan to back up as you are pulling up. Judge where the front will end up. When in dought, leave extra room. If your'e empty, walk down the aisle and look.

drivetrain :)
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2001 :  2:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can find an excellent article on backing school buses at:

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/archive2.cfm?rank=270

jk

THE SCHOOL BUS DRIVER'S TOP PRIORITY
http://forums.delphi.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=2safeschools&msg=395.1
Non 2safeschools members click on GUEST at login to participate in this poll.

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2001 :  09:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MrMac,
In our district, we don't back buses on routes, just flat don't do it! If a student lives in a hard to get into area where we would have to back, we have them walk out to the bus. We have 5 bus compounds where all buses are stored. Some have pull through type parking which is ideal, no backing at all! Others require backing into the parking spot so that they can pull forward out of the spot, eliminating the blind backing. We never back out of a parking spot! Some of our buses are 40 feet long, can't see well enough to do that in my opinion. Hope this helps.
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Bones

15 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2001 :  5:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 70+ busses in our yard, and we all pull in. We have to plug in every night in the winter, with temps well below zero. When we back out it is common practice to blow your horn and proceed very slowly. If you are coming up behind someone with there back-up lights on you just sit tight and leave room for them to get out. We rarely have accidents. Some of us have to do alot of backing during our routes, we have several places where there is only have one student on the road.My route for instance has 9 turnarounds.We always load the student first or unload the student after the turnaround

Go to Top of Page

svhockeyjock

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2001 :  3:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Send svhockeyjock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
we back into our spots and have railroad ties on the ground so we dont back up to far and hit the cars in the employee lot. Although when the ties get old and rotten sometimes accidents happen, but the Alero did look kinda cool under the back of the bus hehe... It is a lot eaiser if you not the first bus in and the bus next to you is the same make and size as yours so you just line the fronts up.

John Scott Boreland
Go to Top of Page

dt

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2001 :  7:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N.H.'s state driving test currently includes straight backing and driver side dock backing but I've heard that they would like to include paralell park both sides like Mass. and even backwards serpentine. No mention was made about stoping with the rear bumper above a 13 inch box (like Mass.). I have also heard of sensing devices in front to warn of things unseen. Would such a device help in backing?

dt :)
Go to Top of Page

Julie

4 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2001 :  10:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Backing up takes practice! Before I applied for my CDL, I spent about 5 hours backing up. It paid off for me because Louisiana requires the following backing maneuvers: Straight, Drivers side dock, Parallel drivers side, Parallel passenger side, and Serpentine.

I'll not pat myself on the back too quickly... this tree branch did catch me one day on the rear passenger side roof when I was backing into a wash stall!

Go to Top of Page

Marcia

2 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2001 :  10:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In responce to backing of the buses, I did not read in any of the messages the term "reference point driving". This would be a vary basic training exercise for the new and old drivers alike. While looking in the mirror, line up the rear parking line with a point on the side of the bus. These two points need to look as if they have come together. Pull forward and back up several times to make sure you are on target. The rear bumper should appear to be on the parking line. Reference points you may wish to look for could be on the stop paddle bottom light nut, right rear wheel well moulding, 2/3 of the way up on the forward edge.Once you establish a reference point it will always be with you on the bus. Please note this varies from driver to driver depending on heigth and seat position, but not by much.

Go to Top of Page

Marcia

2 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2001 :  10:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In responce to backing of the buses, I did not read in any of the messages the term "reference point driving". This would be a vary basic training exercise for the new and old drivers alike. While looking in the mirror, line up the rear parking line with a point on the side of the bus. These two points need to look as if they have come together. Pull forward and back up several times to make sure you are on target. The rear bumper should appear to be on the parking line. Reference points you may wish to look for could be on the stop paddle bottom light nut, right rear wheel well moulding, 2/3 of the way up on the forward edge.Once you establish a reference point it will always be with you on the bus. Please note this varies from driver to driver depending on heigth and seat position, but not by much.

Go to Top of Page

Julie

4 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2001 :  7:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

While looking in the mirror, line up the rear parking line with a point on the side of the bus. These two points need to look as if they have come together.

Okay, I'm lost here... are you talking about a straight backup into the same parking spot?

Go to Top of Page

graciejean24

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2001 :  1:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drive and I train. The first thing that you teach about backing is SLOW! Never back any more than necessary and when you do, take it slow! When I train, I teach backing and the trainee gets get right before I let them take me forward. Proper useage of mirrors and reference point driving , along with caution are the keys here.Load before backing and back before unloading. So many people are in too big of a hurry when it comes time to park their buses and that is where we have most of our mishaps. We teach backing on straight lines, curves, serpentines, before using cones. It is much harder to find a line on the ground than a red cone. This also teaches proper useage of mirrors and reference point driving. Most backing accidents are preventable --if in doubt, secure your bus and get out and walk around your bus.Slow down! We take enough heat without aving to answer why we were going too fast.
Go to Top of Page

magicbus81

1 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  06:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit magicbus81's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GracieJean24! I wish we Had a trainer like your self....

Our trainer was horrible... He only cared about getting the hours for training, and not to mention finding a work wife.... He was horrible!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000