I saw this picture of this bus...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  01:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
...on Richard's group on myspace.com. I saw that it had a strange mirror configuration. I've never seen that beforfe, and on the front bumper it says "STAY BACK 10 FEET". And most of the center part (even the front) of the hood is black. I thought it was an interesting picture. Here's the link, I don't know if anyone else can see it though but you can try.

http://c.myspace.com/Groups/00004/90/23/4243209_l.jpg

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  02:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an interesting bus! It looks like it would take alot to break those mirrors off!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  05:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Those are pretty buses, I've seen them on trips to Cedar Point in Sandusky. If my memory serves my correctly, the buses are from Mentor Exempted School District in Ohio. The Grote 4-inch back-up style lights you see mounted all over are pedestrian lights, lighting up the area around the bus when the red warning lights are on.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  06:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting do they turn on also when the bus back's up?
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  08:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The mirrors used on that bus are Super Nickles, they are a wider version of the Double Nickles, manufactured by Mirror Lite. The mirror post is quite uncommon but something that was done for that district. As Mike mentioned the 4 inch lights are pedestrian lights, you'll see many Thomas Built buses with one of these next to the entrance door, this district just decided to spec a few extras.

Drew19: No I doubt those lights would turn on when the bus is in reverse. While they are the same type of light they are used for a different function and are wired differently. All buses have a light inside the door that lights the stepwell, the exterior pedestrian light(s) come on when that light comes on.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  08:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it a Thomas, looks like one, but a funny bus!!

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  09:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It is a Thomas.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  1:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2002 Thomas International. DT 466E/MD 3060, air everything, and all the goodies. Yep it's from Mentor Exempted Village School District - Lake County, Ohio. See, Ohioans can spec a nice bus ! That Mirror system was designed by the mechanics at Mentor, specifically for them, so you wont see it anywhere else. Very unique and VERY well specd buses. They now get IC CEs (unfortunatly). The white lights you see turn on when the door is opened. They are loading lights. Photograph taken by Mike Puhalla, and the rest can be seen on my site.
Greg
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  4:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am very impressed with the specs I saw on that bus. I did not care for the mirror system at all. Then again, I am not used to a mirror system like that! I am sure it serves a purpose, otherwise the mechanics would not have spec'd it. That set-up must eliminate a lot of blind spots, but create a few more.

Do their new CEs have similar specs?

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 09/14/2005 5:04:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  5:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The new CE's are almost identical. I have a picture of one that'll I'll send to someones site one of these days. Very very nice buses Mentor owns....I'd take a Mentor bus over a Ford anyday just because they are that sweet of a bus.

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  6:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got some shots of a Mentor IC CE that I can post on here. Lemme find them, then see if they upload ok LOL. The Mirror System on the CEs is a little different.
Greg
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  7:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some shots of a 2003 Mentor IC CE 300. These pictures better not show up on anyone site or elsewhere on the internet! Please do not use anywhere without my permission.

I appologize if the files are too large, of if they don't work.

All Photos Copyright 2004 - Greg Hovan.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  7:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Interesting how they did the drivers side mirror post and mounted the mirrors. Nice specs however I prefer the Thomas Built over the IC.

A loading light on the drivers side is a good idea, but I wonder why they spec them in the front, most anytime they would turn on the headlights would be on anyways.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  01:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's probably one of the nicest IC CE's I've ever seen. The STAY BACK 10 FEET thing is one thing I don't like, but the rest is nice. I rode on a Regent Coach Lines IC CE, probably an '03 like above or older (Couldn't find the year) when I was in San Antonio, the one pictured above looks a lot better. Great pictures Greg!!
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  06:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas86_a

Interesting how they did the drivers side mirror post and mounted the mirrors. Nice specs however I prefer the Thomas Built over the IC.

A loading light on the drivers side is a good idea, but I wonder why they spec them in the front, most anytime they would turn on the headlights would be on anyways.

I agree with you Bret. Although the IC does have a couple things I prefer. All of them have to do with the front end and I'm not talking about the IC style vs. the IHC 3800 style.
Mainly I prefer they way Mentor did the black paint on the front of the IC, the black on the Thomas hood goes down a bit too far for my taste. I also like the Ohio ID # on the bumper rather than under the grille which looks cluttered to me.
Other than those two minor things the Thomas hands down is the nicer bus as always IMO
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  2:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think since headlights are typically aimed outwards, they don't provide enough lighting next to the bus for pedestrians. The four inch lights can give flood lighting, immediately next to the bus.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  4:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Here's some shots of a 2003 Mentor IC CE 300.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000