Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Allison MD3060 Transmission
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Craftsman

Barbados
19 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  07:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Craftsman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a Freightliner FL60 fitted with an Allison MD3060 automatic transmission.
The transmission is constantly upshifting and downshifting in all ranges ,between C and L ,and would not stay in the L range.
After a long run, switching off,and then restarting the engine, cures the problem.
Any ideas?

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  11:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you have more than one driver on this unit? The MD3060 will take a while to learn the drivers habits. If you have several drivers on this unit it may be having trouble relearning. Are there any codes in the transmission? Is it set in economy mode?
Brad

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

Craig Thoricht

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  02:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have two Thomas transit units that had somewhat similar problems. After considerable hair pulling and many headaches the people from Bendix discovered a wiring issue from the factory that prevented the torque converter from locking up. Yes- the ABS system and the transmission communicate. Very interesting.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Craftsman

Barbados
19 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  10:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Craftsman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craig Thoricht

We have two Thomas transit units that had somewhat similar problems. After considerable hair pulling and many headaches the people from Bendix discovered a wiring issue from the factory that prevented the torque converter from locking up. Yes- the ABS system and the transmission communicate. Very interesting.

Craig

Thanks for the info Craig and Brad .Yes we do have more than one driver operating this unit.No fault codes are coming up.

Edited by - Craftsman on 02/23/2005 10:20:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  12:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OK! I'd try to train the drivers to drive similarly if possible first and see if this helps. If no change then I'd contact allison service.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

jimbcole

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  07:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit jimbcole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Make sure your battery connections are good. Corroded or loose connections at the battery terminals will cause problems.
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad, is this an electronic engine / package? If it's a mechanical engine you may have a tps problem, (anybody who ran Thomas MV-PER's probably knows what I'm on about). The switch was designed to integrate the mechnical engine linkage to the MD's electronic inputs, a rather tempermental setup to say the least.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CRAFTSMAN,
TPS WILL LOG A CODE 21-12 OR 21-23 I WOULD HOOK UP WITH E.S.T. AND DO QUICK ADAPTIVE. THIS WILL CLEAR E.C.U. THEN BY DRIVING BUS NORMALY IT WILL RE-LEARN

JIMBO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000