What do you use ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2021 :  8:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I posted earlier about a Thomas that keeps blowing the circuit breaker for the door exits . My boss said they had issues with the screws that run along the channel above the seats . They found it using a tool that checks for shorts . He couldn't remember or has it . So what do you use and where can I buy it ? How well does it work and how does it work ?
Thanks

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2021 :  4:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many different tools, but for what you have described in your post, I would be using my KD Tools #2524. It is basically a circuit breaker, and a meter that is a sensitive magnet. An amp-meter if you think of it that way. It is sold and made by many different companies.

What you need to know is the direction of the wiring behind the body panels.

Remember, current going through a wire creates a magnetic field around the wire. When you connect the circuit breaker to the shorted circuit, it of course will pop the breaker. When the circuit breaker pops, the magnetic field collapses. Place the meter in line with the wiring. When the breaker pops, the meter will point in the direction of the short. Keep sliding the meter over the body panels watching the meter. When the meter starts to point in the other direction, you have just passed the area of the short. You can verify this by going back and forth over the now suspected area. You have now just pin pointed the best place to look. Again, this being what appears to be a hard short, this is what I would be starting with.

William

Edited by - 40ngone on 09/19/2021 4:24:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2021 :  02:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the power probe 3 with the short finder, and it works well , there is one important rule , the short finder part of it that stays in your hand , keep it the same distance away from the harness all the time , this way you don't get fooled by residual noise that the other wires can pick up , the tone will change , its hard to explain but there is youtube videos on it, works through thin body metal also , tried the snap on version and mac tool version , but the power probe has been the best all around tool , comes with light sockets(harness that plugs in 1156,57 sockets , 20 ft leads

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2021 :  08:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before I retired, I had purchased all of my guys the Power Probe 3. I think for electrical work, every mechanic should fully familiarize themselves with the tool. The sooner they learn, the sooner it will become second hand just like a test light. Use what you got, use what you know and keep moving forward.
William
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2021 :  10:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hardly even use my multimeter or test light any more , and the power probe will be a leaning curve , but you are right 40ngone once you get it, it speeds things up

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000