New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2021 :  06:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was on vacation las week and there was a problem with an internation ce200 wit allison trans it had check trans light on and apparently i went to limp mode and stayed in second gear. so they drove it back to shop one hour drive in second on highwy now i get in it today and the trans sound terrible grinding i checked the driveshaft and the first to carrier bears where destroyed i took drive shaft out spun tail shaft on trans and it to was grinding my question is i never had one of these trans appart i would assume there is a bearing on the tail shaft if i unbolt that rear cover will it be right there or does the trans have to come completely apart just wanna check to see if its just that bearing and if the bearing is right there do i need to watch for any parts falling out when i take cover off

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2021 :  07:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alot easier to pull tranny and set on blocks with nose down tail up
pull the yoke
then pull the bolts from the rear section big circle
there will be a plantery gear set , the shaft and sun gear and there is springs also around the outside edge , been a looong time since I tore one down, that much noise and damage, I would almost pull it and trade it for a rebuilt one and be done with it, by the time you figure in labour, down time waiting on parts and then the mistakes it would be cheaper and quicker and will have warranty

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2021 :  1:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks i was weighin my opinions i was leaning towards a rebuild but wasnt sure if tail comes right off andi couldcheck bearing
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2021 :  12:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
finally getting back to this i pulled tranny and started takin itapart and there was chunks of metal every where never seen an allison in such bad shape so i stopped put back together and ordered a reman
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2021 :  05:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have been told that vibration due to incorrect drive line angles will take out the 3rd gear planetary in the 2500. we have had most of out 2010 emission level dt's take out a trans for the same failure. We have checked drive line angles and ride height to all be in spec. sent drive shafts to be balanced while the trans were being replaced. I do not recall any other engine or emission level dt doing the same thing. No one wants to take ownership of the failures of course. They all failed within 50k km of each other. Symptoms were accel from stop, shifted into third and there was nothing. check trans light came on and had the same codes (i do not recall what they were off hand) driver would stop, shut bus off and on restart would either start in 1st or go straight into limp mode. Pan was always full of metal. all got remans.
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2021 :  2:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every single 2500 failure I've ever dealt with was bolted to a dt466. The p2 carrier hub spiral fractures and wipes out the c2 clutch hub. All had noise or nothing after 2nd gear.
I've always thought this was due to the weight of the dt466 crankshaft.
I've never been able to repair one. Parts always exceeded a reman.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000