School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 "Zero emissions" - are people really this dumb?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2021 :  06:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please allow me to vent for a moment.

Go to "news" and read all about the electric bus fad, if you want to. But it's amazing how someone always has to spout off "IT'S ZERO EMISSIONS!" in every single story.

Do people REALLY think that we get our electricity from the power fairy or something? I worry about the future of our country/world.

Thank you for listening.

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2021 :  08:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you, and did fairies mine the goods that make these units, or how about pre EGR engines got about 1 to 1.5 million kilometers before a rebuild, post EGR engines get under 500,000 kilometers before a rebuild , not seeing the benefits of EGR , reduces tail pipe emissions , means nothing if your mining all this steel to rebuild these engines , or just replacing the whole unit but someone is making money off this stuff

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2021 :  1:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of toxic stuff that goes into a battery and a lot of it is mined in third world countries where OSHA rules do not apply. That toxic stuff in the batteries has to go somewhere when the battery is shot...I'm not sure if it is recycled or stored under a mountain somewhere for another 500 years. And obviously, if we're all plugged in, there is a power plant somewhere chugging out more pollutants. If you think full circle, "zero emissions" is only a small part of the story.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2021 :  08:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
correct me if i am wrong but with the egr dpf system thats suppose to catch all the soot and pollutants but when it does a regen its heating up the dpf to burn all that crap out and it goes back into the air so i dont see how thats helping emissions or enviorment
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2021 :  08:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doesn't burn it all(ash it will burn, like a wood stove) , soot still builds up and around 500,000 km you will have to change the DPF like an oil filter
zero emissions is a fairy tale

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000