BELTON, Mo. — Safe Fleet’s United Against Bullying (UAB) program has announced the winners of its annual coloring contest and its poster contest, held for the first time this year.
Elementary school students participated in the coloring contest. The poster contest was held for middle and high school students. Both contests were open from July 10 to Oct. 31, and a total of 3,027 entries were received.
The theme of the contests was “I Heart Kindness.” There were 10 judges for the contest, including United Against Bullying coordinators, staff from Safe Fleet divisions, and student representatives from Be Strong, a student anti-bullying group and a strategic partner of Safe Fleet.
“We thank all of the administrators and parents who submitted entries on behalf of students,” said John R. Knox, president and CEO of Safe Fleet. “Bullying is a serious problem in our schools, and every opportunity for children to think about and talk about kindness and bullying is an opportunity for immeasurable positive ripple effects and change.”
The winning students receive awards, and each winner's and runner-up’s school receives $500 and $100, respectively, to help support their kindness and anti-bullying initiatives.
Here is the list of winners and runners-up for the coloring contest, which is divided into categories based on the ages of the students:
5 to 7 years old
- Winner: Eloise, Fort Langley Elementary, Fort Langley, British Columbia
- Runner-up: Olivia, Manito Elementary School, Oakland, New Jersey
8 to 9 years old
- Winner: Shayan, Fort McMurray Islamic School, Fort McMurray, Alberta
- Runner-up: Jasmine, Richard Bulpitt Elementary, Langley, British Columbia
10 to 12 years old
- Winner: Shelby, Centerville (Tenn.) Intermediate School
- Runner-up: Mokayla, Kapolei (Hawaii) Middle School
Here is the list of winners for the poster contest:
- 1st place: Kassandra, Rachel Carson Environmental Middle School, Beaverton, Oregon
- 2nd place: Alanah, Kapolei (Hawaii) Middle School
- 3rd place: Brenna, Signal Hill Elementary, Pemberton, British Columbia
- Honorable Mention: Molly, W.S. Mount Elementary, Stony Brook, New York
The poster contest runners-up are:
- Anahi, Lompoc (Calif.) Valley Middle School
- Rebecca, Signal Hill Elementary, Pemberton, British Columbia
- Karli, Rachel Carson Environmental Middle School, Beaverton, Oregon
For more information about the contests, go here.